. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I decided to make some changes since I discovered some Brains features which are useful in the design of Brains file. I have also decided to split the file into two parts, one is the basic control and the other is the "bonus features". I think this makes it simpler for others to reuse my idea and adjust the necessary changes.

I have also made a short video which could be used as a simple guide. This video is just the first part. At the end of the video there are three pictures showing the brain file with the basic controls with three Mach3 commands: M3 S3000, M4 S9000 and M5.

For best detail, please watch in full screen mode. It is 19 minutes long, so if you just want to see the Brain file views you can jump directly to the last 40 seconds.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 28-08-2016 at 07:11 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A_Camera For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I'm very interested in this, but then, I am a techy...

It's not because of the start/speed control aspect, as this is pretty straightforward if you have a BOB or motion controller with adequate analogue output. OK, linearity might not be absolutely spot-on but I doubt that for most practical purposes that matters.
    There is one HUGE disadvantage with using 0-10V, at least with the BoB's I have, is that if Mach3 is not fired up and the BoB is getting power then it will output 10V and random states for the digital outputs. This creates a dangerous situation since the spindle can start spinning when your hands are too near. This situation can never happen if you use Modbus.

However, the idea of being able to read back VFD parameters (spindle speed, etc) to display on the PC screen sounds attractive. Personally, I would not have considered this because I had no idea what a Mach3 brain was so would have never gone looking for this kind of information. I've probably missed something obvious, but I don't find the Mach3 documentation leaps out at me. Easy enough to do the basics but you seem to be somewhat on your own if you go just a little off-piste.
    I agree, this is another major advantage of using Modbus, and I will cover that in my next video. I am reading parameters like Output voltage, current, torque, power, temperature, real RPM, RPM stable... and there are plenty more, but to read those and have some use for them you also need to modify Mach3 screens used, otherwise you won't be able to see those. I have just started with this, so I am no expert, but used Screen4, which can be downloaded from Mach. I find it pretty buggy, crashes fairly often, so frequent backup of the changes is really important, but it is free, so why complain? In any case, to make modifications to existing screens is pretty simple.

For example, do a Google search for "mach3 brain" and the best result seems to be a YouTube video. Personally, I would rather have a decent manual in front of me!

But maybe I've just missed some hidden site full of Mach3 docs, so if anyone can tell me where it is... In the meantime, I shall follow this thread with interest.
    Yes, I would also prefer a decent manual, but that is hardly going to happen now that Mach3 is dead. The Brains territory is even less documented than the rest. I managed to gather quite a bit of documentation spread around on the Internet about Mach3 macro programming, use and parameters, as well as about some other bits and pieces, but very little about Brains, so that is not really like skiing off-piste, more like skiing off-piste uphill. Yes, the best I could find was also Youtube video, but unfortunately not enough to help me, so I made my own. I don't know if I will write some kind of user documentation later on, because it takes quite a lot of time, but at least I will document my workflow which can be use by others to figure out what to do and how to solve their problems.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    There is one HUGE disadvantage with using 0-10V, at least with the BoB's I have, is that if Mach3 is not fired up and the BoB is getting power then it will output 10V and random states for the digital outputs. This creates a dangerous situation since the spindle can start spinning when your hands are too near. This situation can never happen if you use Modbus.
    I can't disagree, although in my case I am using a CSMIO-IP/M which is held in e-stop mode by the safety relay until it is explicitly re-enabled. I think that it stays in standby until it starts communicating with Mach3 as well - I'll have to unplug the Ethernet cable while it is running and see what happens!

As I am currently using a Huanyang VFD and given its poor support for Modbus, I'm not going down that path. Still, if it blows up one day and I have to replace it, then I might well look for something that both supports the official Modbus standard and also has a usable manual!

Good luck with this project - I shall follow it with interest.

A-Camera, thanks a mil! I had been beating my head against a brick wall for weeks trying to get this going. Using your posts I got it all up and running sweetly
    I registered on this board just to thank you!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Thermic For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thermic View Post
    A-Camera, thanks a mil! I had been beating my head against a brick wall for weeks trying to get this going. Using your posts I got it all up and running sweetly
    I registered on this board just to thank you!
    Thank you for your kind words. I am glad it helped you out and hope you'll enjoy using Modbus just as much as I enjoy it. I no longer use Mach3, using UCCNC now, but I continue using Modbus even with UCCNC.

Hi, I have a Bosch Rexroth EFC 5610 VFD with all the manuals. I couldn't see anywhere, which terminals you used on the actual VFD itself. Could tell me what terminals you used or direct me to the manual where I can find correct information on how to configure the VFD?

I have recently replaced all the motion control gear on my router table and so far so good. I have fully calibrated motion and just configured it with an xbox360 controller.

I really would like to have the ability to monitor and control my spindle settings within Mach3.
    I am using the '2010 screenset' on Mach3 to control my machine and have used 'Screen4' in the past, to modify various screens in mach etc.

I have a USB to RS485 dongle setup and showing up as 'COM4' on my windows 7 machine. My EFC5610 is already setup and controlling a 3ph 5.5kv max. 17,400RPM Perske spindle.

I have been reading through your posts on the subject on various forums and I just wanted to ask your advise now as I'm just about to start? After all you did, what is the best way to go about setting this up from start to finish?

Would it be helpful if you sent me copies of your Mach3 brain file and the Modbus configuration file with a workflow? I was thinking that I'd have many of the same parameters as you, between Mach and the Rexroth VFD.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Regards!
    Darren

Hi Darren,

My manual says:

14.3.2 Modbus Interface
    The Modbus communication is via RS485 interface, see descriptions on RS485+ and RS485- in chapter 8.1 "Wiring Diagram" on page 50 and chapter 8.3.2 "Control Terminals" on page 65.

It explains how to wire in details. Anyway, I posted on CNC Zone as well as on my Youtube video. Did it help?

Yes it did help indeed! Thank you again. I can now send M3, M4, and M6 commands via the MDI in Mach.

The only thing that I have to do now is change the ' RPM DRO' To read and display the 'True RPM' Values.
    I know that I have to use a screen editor to change the 'RPM' somehow from no. 39 to '1002'. Thing is, I'm using 'Screen4' and 'MachScreen' and I cannot find a procedure to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by visedge View Post
    Yes it did help indeed! Thank you again. I can now send M3, M4, and M6 commands via the MDI in Mach.

The only thing that I have to do now is change the ' RPM DRO' To read and display the 'True RPM' Values.
    I know that I have to use a screen editor to change the 'RPM' somehow from no. 39 to '1002'. Thing is, I'm using 'Screen4' and 'MachScreen' and I cannot find a procedure to do this.
    I see...

Perhaps you can't fix it Screen4, or it is not no. 39 but something else, I don't know. I used the standard screen.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I see...
    Perhaps you can't fix it Screen4, or it is not no. 39 but something else, I don't know. I used the standard screen.
    I'm using the 2010 Screenset so the original Mach script editor doesn't work with the 2010 set. I have however found a way to change the DRO no. to 1002. I've used 'MachScreen' to do it, you can see where to edit it when you open the screen file, goto -> view -> overview. Here you can see an overview of all the DRO's LED's & Buttons etc. All the values can be edited here on-the-fly. So I've made the changes to the screen but I will not know if it is working until I get in to work tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information