. .
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    You might have read in another thread that I'm having trouble getting my spindle running in Vector Speed mode, I've tried everything so have had to finally contact ABB.
    So what was the outcome.?

They told me to do what I'd already tried so I've sent more info on parameters and spindle motor data, don't expect a reply for a few days but you never know.

At last, structural alterations finished to workshop, what a damn mess it makes cutting a doorway through double skin concrete blocks. I've also rearranged the shed layout and there's room for everything now.
    Frame now painted and rail bearing beams mounted. The shims worked okay but if you imagine the Forth Rail Bridge it's a bit like that where the 'humps' are in the gaps between the bolted flanges. Of course when I say humps I'm talking about 0.2mm. Now that's not so bad, but, and it's been said before by others, looking at the ends of the beams they are leaning very slightly out which means the rails and hence linear bearings are also going to lean out. To get things moving I have therefore decided to epoxy the top surface and to just for diversity (and cost) can anyone see a product here Polyester - Standard, Silicone Rubber items in MB-Fibreglass store on eBay! that might fit the bill, I think I need 2 to 3mm max thickness.

Also more news on the issue with ABB drive + Elte spindle, soon.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 27-01-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Now that's not so bad, but, and it's been said before by others, looking at the ends of the beams they are leaning very slightly out which means the rails and hence linear bearings are also going to lean out.
    Sounds like a persuader is called for...and if the small one doesn't work then get the big one out :)
    Neil...

Build log...here

... To get things moving I have therefore decided to epoxy the top surface and to just for diversity (and cost) can anyone see a product here Polyester - Standard, Silicone Rubber items in MB-Fibreglass store on eBay! that might fit the bill, I think I need 2 to 3mm max thickness.

Also more news on the issue with ABB drive + Elte spindle, soon.
    Eddy,why experiment if you know what works for sure? West System Epoxy 105/209.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 28-01-2014 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Sounds like a persuader is called for...and if the small one doesn't work then get the big one out :)
    That only works for fitters so I'm thinking about wedging a few screwdrivers in

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    Eddy,why experiment if you know what works for sure? West System Epoxy 105/209.
    I know but it's one of those times when I feel an equivalent can be found at much lower cost, I'll think about it today.

I know but it's one of those times when I feel an equivalent can be found at much lower cost, I'll think about it today.
    I'll be looking with interest then.....
    Neil...

Build log...here

What about this ?

Epoxy Resin ideal for fibreglass repair and general use
    Syntac EPAFD Slow Cure Epoxy Resin Pack

In terms of pot time it looks fine but it doesn't mention anything about the viscosity of the mix. My guess is that the viscosity would be ok but do you really want to risk it for about £20? We know from others experience that West System is almost like water when mixed and will self level in the time it takes to set. Last thing you want is to mix up a big batch of this stuff, pour it on and then watch at it slowly sets with a dirty great lump where you poured it in. Other than that I'd say go for it, I'd certainly be very interested to see if there was a cheaper alternative.

As a side note, if you don't have them a cheap set of scales is well worth it, the density of the two components is different enough that by volume measurements won't cut it (unless you are going to do the calculation to figure out the correct volumes of course).

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information