. .
Page 35 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Only managed 1/2 hour on this today but cut the MDF for the moat. Tomorrow I'll glue it together and seal it, thinking of sticking it to the steel with silicone sealant which will also act as a sealant to stop (hopefully) any leaks as I don't want a repeat of last time where despite my best efforts (obviously not good enough) I had leaks at some joins.

If I can get it together and sealed then I might go for a pour so it starts to set over the weekend. Whatever happens I'll not be rushing this....lesson has been learnt from last time :)

Here was my effort flashing the heat gun across gets rid of a small bubbles: ..Clive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1753.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	536.5 KB 
ID:	14134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1758.JPG 
Views:	206 
Size:	464.9 KB 
ID:	14135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1757.JPG 
Views:	216 
Size:	480.7 KB 
ID:	14136  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

With the metal strips?
    Well maybe not, this is the thread, also read a few pages earlier; http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6619-...3914#post63914
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Well maybe not, this is the thread, also read a few pages earlier; http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6619-...3914#post63914
    Yeah I've read it....my pour went OK apart from a couple of leaks which I cured and me not having the correct ratio. I got no shrinkage and the epoxy was level all round (measured with a straight edge and level) so I'm going to go as I did before. Mine is only 1300mm long so no where near the length of Boyan's which I think is where alot of his problems came from.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Finished the moat today, another day of only 1/2 hour to work on the machine. Still ill not be rushing!!!

Built it with tabs so that I can lift it off and replace it easily after running a bead of sealant under/round it to seal the gaps. Started gluing the mdf with superglue but ended up using no-nails...will put some oil on the MDF first so the epoxy doesnt stick (as much) to it.
    Last edited by njhussey; 19-12-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

...will put some oil on the MDF first so the epoxy doesnt stick (as much) to it.
    Would parcel tape work instead of oil ?

Taking no chances this time eh !
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Yes, i was going to use that...Trouble is there's some oil already on it so the parcel tape won't stick...

Nope not taking any chances...going to triple check everything!!! ;)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Neil I used the Wests System and found it easier to weigh out the two parts with a digital scale rather than by volume and mixing with a flat paddle (strip of ply etc) if this helps. Good luck. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Neil I used the Wests System and found it easier to weigh out the two parts with a digital scale rather than by volume and mixing with a flat paddle (strip of ply etc) if this helps. Good luck. ..Clive
    Yes the reactive resins is done by weight, twice as much epoxy to harder I seem to remember....will write it down in big numbers so I can't get it wrong!!! I've got some proper mixing sticks this time...
    Neil...

Build log...here

10. Do you have access to a vacuum pump? IF so, you can put the well mixed resin in an over sized container and degas that way (a sealed 50 gallon drum can act as a chamber if the pump can handle the volume). That gets rid of pretty much all gas in the resin which will make for a much better pour and no worry over bubbles. The issue is getting access or having a vacuum pump that can handle the volume.

Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

Or a drum that can take a vacuum .. Clive

Page 35 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread Information