. .
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    cheers thanks dean will do.

Can any one recommend a water pump to use for my 2.2kw spindle that's sensibly priced. At present I have the coolant pipes going all the way to the control area so quite long but hoping this will help cooling.

Many thanks

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 5 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I use a cheap caravan water pump picked up off eBay for about 12 quid. It says it shouldn't be used for more than 15-20mins continuously, but I've wired mine to run off a switch giving either 5V or 12V; I use 12V to start for purging any air bubbles, and then switch to 5V for continuous running. It's done quite a few 6-7hour runs with no problem. The pump is in a bucket of water that I change from time to time. I know other people have much more elaborate solutions but simple works for me! No need for fans, radiators, etc, although that might depend on just how hard you are running the spindle.

The spindle will be rarely doing any real hard work mainly cutting polystyrene it would be nice not to have to do anything to it though. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    . . . it would be nice not to have to do anything to it though. Many thanks
    I don't have a water cooled spindle but if I did this is something I would try.

Cold water header tank fed from mains water via ball cock, feeding small central heating pump (you can regulate the flow on these), return back to header tank.
    Also an electric cutoff valve could be included, operated from the cnc control panel.
    If the temperature got high I would include in the circuit a small central heating radiator, handy in winter.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 23-10-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I don't have a water cooled spindle but if I did this is something I would try.

Cold water header tank fed from mains water via ball cock, feeding small central heating pump (you can regulate the flow on these), return back to header tank.
    Also an electric cutoff valve could be included, operated from the cnc control panel.
    If the temperature got high I would include in the circuit a small central heating radiator, handy in winter.
    Eddy, i,m sure you could make that a bit more complicated if you really tried!!! G.
    Last edited by GEOFFREY; 23-10-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Eddy, i,m sure you could make that a bit more complicated if you really tried!!! G.
    Haha very good !, the thing is I had all those parts lying surplus (i.e. free) before Mrs. decided garage needed clearing out.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Yea I'm know expert but I think that may be a bit over the top. The amount of surface area that 15m of tube has for the small amount of water inside and the temperatures we get over here and the load it will be under I don't think I will be fine just need to find a suitable pump that can run for a good few hours. I have been given a 240v pump that's destined for corrosive materials but can't help thinking its ott and going to be a waste of power?
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Charlie I've recently experimented with a 120mm PC radiator and fan with small PC pump with reservoir and it worked a treat thou I didn't cut with it for long and but did leave running at full speed for 6 hours and it hardly got warm.
    I'm going to fit to my own machine and do some real world testing cutting aluminium when I get chance but don't hold your breath waiting.
    If you want to try it then I'm 99% confident you won't have any troubles for what your doing and it will be very neat and travel with the spindle.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 23-10-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    Yea I'm know expert but I think that may be a bit over the top.
    No way, those were just my first thoughts
    If you get the extremes sorted out, the answer lies somewhere between.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 23-10-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread Information