. .
    Hi there my name is Rick and having followed this site forum for some time with interest ive decided is was time to pick your brains directly instead of covertly!!! i have a background in computers, more specificly software engineering, I am an engineer for a Large (if not the largest) telecomunications company in the UK, i restore motorcycles as a hobby and untill now have been fullfilling my milling requirments by way of engineering friends. Its now time with you help for me to take the plunge and get my own mill.

Hello Rick.
    Gets a bit cold outside,nice of you to come into the warmth. :-)

Hi George, Thank you for the welcome, its nice to know someone is there, so many forums suffer from noob freeze these days, sometimes makes you wonder if you are talking to youself!! lol

I have a suspicion that most folks unfortunately (depending on your outlook) have to work for a living and do not access the Forum until the evening ... (You watch, just to prove me wrong yet again ... you will now be bombarded with greetings etc).
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Like on any forum,the guest outnumber the members...take a look at the bottom stats outside in the main forums.

6. Welcome Rick.

We're a friendly bunch here, although sometimes you have to forgive the offbeat humour of some of our friends north of Watford

What sort of mill were you thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I have a suspicion that most folks unfortunately (depending on your outlook) have to work for a living and do not access the Forum until the evening ... (You watch, just to prove me wrong yet again ... you will now be bombarded with greetings etc).
    Hi Tim, nice to talk to you, I can understand that, Im a night worker myself, so my posts will be all over the shop depending on if im just satrting the week or just ending it...

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD
    Like on any forum,the guest outnumber the members...take a look at the bottom stats outside in the main forums.
    Well George I was Guilty of that, The forums are so interesting, I find myself reading following links, discovering new and interesting facts (that get googled and investigated) by the time im finished ive been reading and clicking for 3-4 hours and its time to get on with the stuff i should have been doing in the first place, time just gets away from you.... But ive joined now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Welcome Rick.

We're a friendly bunch here, although sometimes you have to forgive the offbeat humour of some of our friends north of Watford ?
    From the warm welcome im getting here friendly is the word, A refreshing change as i said earlier..Hey and Scottish grand parents means that offbeat humour has been a way of life in the past so thats fine :)

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    What sort of mill were you thinking of?
    Now there is a question!!!

1/ Upright
    2/ No tooling I have to hit with a hammer to loosen.
    3/ Ripe for conversion to CNC
    4/ As veratile as possible.
    5/ My shed is only 6'6" x 8'x 8'

Ive been surfing franticly trying to decide on several of the sub £1200 models before her indoors finds another much more important (of course) use for the money!! do you have any sugestions
    Last edited by Ricardoco; 28-07-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Here is what i have as a start:-

Several long Lineaer Rails and bearings (Never could spell that word)
    Ballscrews and ballnuts (12mm x 600mm x 4)
    I have Mach3 software (Licenced!!)
    Also 4 nema34 steppers and drivers.
    Dual Parallel interfaces and PC with two Parallel Cards.
    An old MPG
    Several small limit switches
    3 E-stop switches
    2 power supplies 0-48v and 0-24v.
    Coolant pump and 4 flood nozels.
    Several 12v phnumatic solonoid valves.

and here are the list of machines im looking at so far.

Chester Century.......................£939.00

Axminster SIEG X2 Super Mill ......£1,029.50

Axminster SIEG X3 Mill Drill .........£892.99

Amadeal XJ25 Milling Machine.......£870.00

Warco WM16 Variable Speed Mill..£998.00

Arc Euro Trade Super X3L...........£1,121.00

SPG Tools SPG 2217-11 .............£930.00

Boxford 260VMC incl PC..............£900.00

Any thoughts??

Ok i went for the Boxford (got it cheaper as well) and ive started one of those tiresom newbe threads here:-
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...Boxford-260vmc

Thread Information