. .
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Those speakers look fantastic! If they sound as good as they look I think you've got a winner:dance:

The CNC looks great too. Compared to what I payed for my 1000x600mm Heiz, I personally think you got a bargain. And only after reading this, I now know what everyone is on about concerning supported rails. the Heiz X-axis is running round 22mm guides over a metre and you can see them flex upwards when plunging. Mind you, i've had it for 4 years now & I know what it is capable of. I think I payed about £4k for it without any enclosure , but then again it paid for itself doing it's first job.

I hope you have fun with it & I'd be interested how you fare with the Kress cutting wood. The first job I did in oak ate the brushes out of the Kress in no time using a 6mm slotter.

Gavin

HI
    I'm glad you got the machine in & your right it does weigh around half a tonne & nearly all of the weight is in the CNC router itself this gives the forum users some idea of just how rigid our CNC routers are even our standard range of wood CNC routers are all this rigid with a similar size to weight ratio relative to size , on the other hand our metal cutting CNCs are even heaver , for instance we are manufacturing a small CNC router for a customer at the present his design brief was for machining 20-40mm aluminium plate it has a 860x660 cutting bed & this weighs nearly 400KG without any base the spindle alone is 12KG.
    We do want forum users to realise the enclosed CNC router in this thread was manufactured for this client with a particular job in mind the design brief was for routing thin MDF (not 25mm ) for his amazing high end speakers (& they really do look quite spectaculare) please bear in mind this was a bespoke CNC this machine was never designed for use on cutting aluminium or a heavy DOC only for the job in hand so
    flexing will not be a problem.
    When a customer enquires about a CNC for a particular job we always make recommendations to the customer to be sure they have the right machine for the job its needed for & within there budget we do go the extra mile to satisfy our customers needs as Shinobiwan will agree.
    We always pass on the savings direct to the customer to keep the manufacturing costs down for the client's budget, if one of our standard models are not suitable we can tailor make a package suitable for the clients needs but still keeping our prices very competitive just because it is a bespoke package we do not inflate the price as other industries do ,we also use good quality components this means our profit margins are smaller but the machines are of much higher quality for instance we could of used cheaper perspex for the enclosure but we used 4mm lexan polycarb as it is higher quality & also a lot safer as it will not shatter we adopt this though process within all our design elements
    best wishes

[QUOTE=JAZZCNC;27824]Ah ok slightly better than feared thou at this width extra bracing would be my prefered choice.

Hi the gantry back support on this model is 30x180mm heavy gauge we have several gantry options available for the customer to choose from
    30x180mm
    30x200mm
    30x300mm
    40x200mm
    40x300mm
    60x320mm

we also have a range of gantry uprights available
    40x120mm
    40x160mm
    40x320mm
    60x320mm
    80x320mm

Our machines do weigh a great deal even our standard models are very heavy which is why they are so rigid no additional bracing is needed on this model they really are solid, but i do understand your concern as you just cannot see from the pictures but once you see them in the flesh "so to speak" its only then you get some idea of how rigid they are customers are always surprised by the weight of the machines.
    As the customer you can virtually design your own custom CNC we us by choosing from our range of components to get a truly customised CNC router to your own spec. We have supplied a customised M series of the PRO 660x660 CNC to 2 engineering firms to replace there small CNC mills once they seen what our metal range of CNC routers can produce & for a fraction of the price of a CNC mill there sold ,our 3 phase 5HP & 7HP water cooled spindles chew through aluminium like butter & you can high speed machine with them too cutting production runs down significantly ,one client has been running his older one for the past 26 months machining aluminium all day 6 days a week & its still going strong the customer has since purchased another unit this time with full enclosure i do have permission from the company to use pictures of the components they machine with the CNC if anyone's interested seeing them we are currently archiving a selection of customers work to be placed on our new website the only draw back with the M series of machines is they are incredibly heavy even the small models are obscenely heavy to give you a idea 4 people cannot even pick up the small STK M series & this only has a 660x660 cutting bed & stands 1700mm tall
    best wishes
    all the best
    best wishes

WOW! They are beautiful.
    Bruce
    The more I know, I know, I know the less. (John Owen)

[QUOTE=Strike CNC;27874]
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Our machines do weigh a great deal even our standard models are very heavy which is why they are so rigid no additional bracing is needed on this model they really are solid, but i do understand your concern as you just cannot see from the pictures but once you see them in the flesh "so to speak" its only then you get some idea of how rigid they are customers are always surprised by the weight of the machines.

Ok first off PLEASE PLEASE don't under estimate the knowledge and expereince of some of the people you are speaking to here on the forum. I know exactly the weight and strength of the materials you use because I use them also.! . . BUT . . . There's a difference between material weight and mechanical stength.!
    My reference to bracing had nothing to do with the material weight or choice and everything to do with the structural bracing.! . . . Which IMO at this size and proportions it's lacking.!

I agree 110% regards building the machine to do an intended job. . BUT . . in this case while YES it will fullfill the "Brief" it could have been so much better for so little more.!! . . Or better put you spoilt the broth to save a pinch more salt.!!

Given the full picture regards componets then with a bit more bracing (Esp the BED) and a REAL Z Axis then this machine could handle most jobs and materials upto Aluminium with good usable DOC.! . . .As it is now it will always be lacking.!!

My view and feelings regards machines built in this manner with these materials is that they are built purely with ease of build to extract maximum profit using off the shelf products. This often leads to comprimise, whether that be finacial or strength, they generaly lack in one or the other.!

IMO given the fact that at £3860(taking away the £600 for the enclosure) and the very fact that building this machine how you do requires very little equipment other than a decent drill press and could be built in just a few days then you are still making very good profit. Certainly enough to give a better Z axis using at least supported round rails and couple more piece's of profile for the bed.!!. . . . This would make the machine capable of so much more.!!

I wish you every success and please don't take my comments as a personal attack,.they are observations and MY OPINOINS gained from my experience building machines for my self and others and which I was invited to give (And feel should be said for the sake of others). I fully understand the need for profit being in business 0ver 25 years my self but some times saving that "Pinch of salt" really does spoil the soup IMO..!!!

Personally I like a lot of dead weight, but that's just me. It looks wonderful, if I needed a router I'd buy one

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Do we get a movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Personally I like a lot of dead weight, but that's just me.
    Yep me too Robin if it's used correctly. . . . As we know Mass can be your friend. It also weddles the weak bits out pritty quick.!!

Also forgot to say LOVE THE SPEAKERS. .

Hi Jazz

Its would have been nice to have even more for my money but I already got a lot for £4.5k.

Commercially I couldn't find a better deal. Even shipping a Chinese machine would have been more expensive after shipping and taxes.

Here's a couple of examples I looked at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leasing-De...ht_1330wt_1396
    Marchant Dice were wanting £5.5k for this desktop model with no base or enclosure, no hiwin on the X, no Dual steppers on the X, smaller alu profiles, smaller cutting area.

http://cnc-step.de/en/products-cnc-r...lling-machines
    The closest spec Heiz machine is the S-1400/T at around £8k once you add the base but its still not as well specified. It has awkward bed size that doesn't accept 4x4ft, there's unsupported rails on the Z and Y, no enclosure, and I'd say its generally of a lighter construction.

Did I mention that £4.5k also included delivery on the back of a HGV? That had to have cost around £200-300. The old man is HGV driver and they don't work for nothing. I consider your comments very useful and food for thought. Maybe strike will integrate the suggestions as standard but there's no denying the price would go up.

As for my machine I consider it a starting point. Looking at the Z axis its relatively easy to replace the unsupported rails with hiwin. Its a matter of carefully measuring, marking and then drilling and tapping a few dozen holes. So its not like I'm stuck with this forever. You suggestions to firm up the table are good one's and could be done easily too. For now I'm going to use what I have and as I start to feel the need to upgrade things I've got that option, especially with folks like yourself who have a lot of knowledge in this area.

Would it possible to visit you Jazz? Or someone else near Chesterfield to chat about these things and look at your setup? I know very little and that would be a huge boost for me.

EDIT: Thanks for the comment on the speakers :)

Hi i do invite constructive criticism

As said this was a custom machine for the customers design brief we did offer the customer supported rails as they said in previous posts we can only supply the customer with what they can afford & this machines fits the design brief for the job in hand for the customers budget & please remember the 600.00 for the enclosure included the materials for the much lager base needed to house the enclosure
    & i really do not think you can make this machine in a couple of days with only a drill press & if you could i for one would not want a machine made with a drill press in a garden shed even in a tool room that was rushed to be built in a few days our machines are manufactured with a range of heavy duty equipment including CNC mills , manual bridgeport mills ,large colchester lathes to mention but a few & these are only the tool room machines not the manufacturing area we are engineering company by trade with a fully equipped manufacturing facility as well as the tool room we also have the display unit , there are also a lot of other factors in price including the free delivery for this machine at a cost of £290.00 incl VAT

"Given the full picture regards components then with a bit more bracing (Esp the BED) and a REAL Z Axis then this machine could handle most jobs and materials up to Aluminium with good usable DOC.! . . .As it is now it will always be lacking.!!"

We did expect to receive some comments from others & some competition & i do welcome it but this & please JAZZ i do not want to seem confrontational this machine was not supposed to be used for a wide range of materials as it was made to the customers design brief for his amazing speakers & budget
    as i said we are currently manufacturing x5 machines at present with one of them a 8x4" 4 axis CNC router with this customer we did not offer them the upgrade but only gave then the choice of 20-25mm hiwin rails as a machine of this size in our opinion can only run on the profile rails one of these these machines are nearly ready & i will post pics & yes you will see this one has a heavier duty bed for the job it is designed for

Please i do not want to offend & i am not underestimating your knowledge as you use extrusion regularly then you also know all suppliers of extrusion have different grades one company's heavy grade is another company's standard grade or even light grade we have tried 7 companies from the UK & know ours come from Germany

We have many upgrades available & the customers have the choice to upgrade or not it is ultimately down to the customers budget so please bear this in mind but i do welcome your comments
    best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Do we get a movie?
    That's the plan once I get it up and running. There's a couple of jobs to do before that can happen:
    • Dust extraction. Gotta cut a hole the top of the enclosure and plumb this in.
    • The doors at the rear need modifying as I changed where the machine was going at the last minute and didn't want to hold up the machine any longer. Without the mod its difficult to open the doors because of limited space.
    • I bought one of the 3HP Chinese water cooled spindle & vfd packages off ebay and it arrived yesterday so now I have the dilemma of choosing whether to get up and running quickly with the Kress or wait for some mounts and install the spindle/vfd combo.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information