. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    So.. I finally got the Black Cat running under NCStudio, and it works fine..although I have ordered a Mach 3 breakout board for the controller .. never mind it can go into another project or I’ll sell it on here.. it’s a 4 axis.. which gets me to thinking lol ..I have lathe, I need a drop saw and CNC software.. problem was I didn’t realise that NCstudio was a very simple program in reality , as ever I over complicated it , but it was easy to install and get running in the end.. you just have to find the right youtube videos.. Basically the ones in English.. not Ingrish
    Next thing level the bed plate..

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

So now onto trying to level the bed. Heres some pictures , see what you think and what if you might do or if you have any suggestions I'd be greatful.
    And heres a few secounds of my baby running :)

Black Cat CNC test - YouTube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed1.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	6983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed2.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	6982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bed2.2.JPG 
Views:	278 
Size:	136.4 KB 
ID:	6981  

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Get some of this in 2mm thickness

Then slip it under the track and put some holes in it to allow the screws to pass through. Tha website is nice as they will cut to the size you want (roughly).

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Get some of this in 2mm thickness

Then slip it under the track and put some holes in it to allow the screws to pass through. Tha website is nice as they will cut to the size you want (roughly).
    Bookmarked :)

So you suggest the tracks not the corner plate ?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

No, I'm not sure where it is best, but it seems better to use sheet than washers.

Ah ok good idea thanks :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I used the 2mm sheet sugested by Tenson under bed on the rails, now as you all know I'm not an engineer so this is the closest to level its going to get. I did a vid of the plunge gauge its a 10 mm so by my reckoning its not that far out now. Sorry for the poor quality I tried it on my Go-pro.

Video

Now to put on a 1/2 in bed or something, source some screws and washers.. etc..

Ralph Waldo Emerson

That doesn't look bad at all :) With a sacrificial bed on there milled flat it will be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    That doesn't look bad at all :) With a sacrificial bed on there milled flat it will be very good.
    Off to buy the bolts for one now :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not bad, but I bet you can do better...

Use the indicator as you have set it up in the video. Move the gantry so that it is measuring over one of the 4 supports (bearings). Now take readings every 20mm (or whatever distance you can be bothered with) and record them in a spreadsheet. Plot the graph and you'll find there will be some small variations due to the aluminium not being flat and a linear error due to the bearings not being at the same height, which is the bit we're interested in. Suppose you get something like the blue line on this graph:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X bed error example.png 
Views:	445 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	7033
    As you can see, if a straight line is plotted using the blue curve, it shows the average gradient of the bed. If this function is subtracted from the readings, you end up with the orange line which shows the 'flatness' of the bed with these reading if the perfect size spacer was added. So once you've got the readings, use your favourite spreadsheet program to find the linear regression line and equation, look at the gradient of this line - in this example it is -0.0015, so if the distance between the blocks is 300mm you would need to add a spacer which is 0.0015*300=0.45mm thick. You should then repeat this test measuring parallel to the other axis, then over the other two bearings and you should end up with it being extremely close. The advantage with this method over measuring directly above the bearings is it will account for local variations that could otherwise skew the readings.

Just watched the video again and it looks lie the bed is bowed, can you take the readings and post them here then we can work out if it's worth proceeding?

From the video it looks like you're close enough, but if it was my machine I'd try this to see how much closer I can get it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X bed error example.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	7032  
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information