. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hypothetically, If you were making a metal rack could you cut it to suit other belt sections

apparently the Gates powerdrive profile works too
    found this thread on cnczone.

I am going to glue the base belt down with double sided sticky tape (sailmakers version)
    Last edited by matthewb; 17-03-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsattuk View Post
    If it is a horizontal drive, the full length belt is very good at keeping the base belt clean

John
    yes good point, im probably going to have the belt teeth vertical ..... probably... but that is yet to be decided 100% so.....

Thanks Ger21, i will look through at your system
    Last edited by matthewb; 17-03-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    HTD5 won't work, it needs to be T5 to mesh with itself.
    agree on that but it zeems doable
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QU3YQe-Sc
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I'm pretty impressed with Mike Everman's Servo Belt concept. I first ran across it in the threads on CNC zone Gerry refers to. There more on it on Everman's own blog at http://mikeeverman.com/. It seems like a great solution to the problems of belt stretch in conventional systems and the limited tooth engagement and resulting low shear strength and backlash compensation I see in CNC fabric cutters like this: http://carlsondesign.com/plotter-cut...plotter-cutter.

What about making the belt on the drive motor side a continuous loop (tank tread) and skipping the full length top belt? If you mount the belt system upside down, similar to how you see racks mounted on many CNC router axes, the protection from dust or chips seems unmerited.

Regards,

Chris Krumm
    Last edited by tropostudio; 15-05-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tropostudio View Post
    What about making the belt on the drive motor side a continuous loop (tank tread) and skipping the full length top belt? If you mount the belt system upside down, similar to how you see racks mounted on many CNC router axes, the protection from dust or chips seems unmerited.

Regards,

Chris Krumm
    Have been planning a moving table router and wanted to try a Servobelt design. I had some Vexta 5 phase motors with 10-1 low backlash gearboxes which I wanted to use. Wanted a sort of modular self contained drive that I could bolt onto the frame, I shall be using a dual drive and will sync the drives with a shaft between the motors.

The std. 37mm OD bearings are assembled on steel tubes for alignment, they act as spacers for the side frames and are clamped together by the mounting bolts

The engagement with the belt on the table, is set by the outer bolts in the chassis having slotted holes in the frame. The belt tension is set by moving the motor in the slotted holes in the chassis plates, also carries an outrigger bearing for the 18 tooth pinion.

I have carved a setup out of wood before I waste any aluminum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB-Rear.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	485.2 KB 
ID:	15885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB-Assembled.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	15886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB-Assembly.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	528.7 KB 
ID:	15887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB-Belt run.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	400.9 KB 
ID:	15888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB-Chassis.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	496.7 KB 
ID:	15889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB-Rear2.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	15890  

John, did you ever build and use this servobelt tractor design?

Unfortunately age and health got in the way so did not progress, still have all the bits.

Age is no excuse....health well that is a tough one! You are probably aware of it but Mike Everman has also produced and is selling a tractor style carriage now. I am building a big vinyl cutter and will use the belt on belt system for X and Y. Clearpath servos and Centroid's Acorn controller board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information