. .
Page 22 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
    OK so the draught excluder is here now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Draught_excluder.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	369.3 KB 
ID:	11506

Will have a play with the epoxy sometime soon. Will level the angle that I'll be using to space the x axis rails out with a little like the pictures below. This will let me play with the epoxy and get used to mixing and pouring it and also give me a nice level surface to mount the carriages to.

Name:	X-axis_epoxy_2.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	11503

The bridge between the two rails will be silicone sealant, all the foam will be stuck together and the MDF end boards will be no-nailed to the steel.

Name:	X-axis_epoxy_1.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	11504

I'm seriously thinking of welding two steel 100x50x4 sections in an L shape and getting the machine up and running that way. I'll use epoxy on the steel to level the Y axis rails so they're level.

Name:	100x50_steel_Y_axis.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	405.5 KB 
ID:	11505
    Neil...

Build log...here

I hadn't realised your gantry was very similar design to mine, did you read the Kingcreaky build log ?.
    If you use the 7mm hole in the wide tub (e.g. ice cream carton) idea for pouring it's very civilised and controllable, you won't have any problems.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I hadn't realised your gantry was very similar design to mine, did you read the Kingcreaky build log ?.
    Yes I remember reading Kingcreaky's build, I was just thinking that to get it going and to keep costs down I'd use what steel I have left (got to use it up somehow) and build the gantry out of that and level using epoxy as I'll have a bit left over from doing the x-axis rails. Then I'll either keep it as it is or...use the machine to cut parts for itself and build the proper gantry...

Name:	Designed_Y_Axis.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	465.4 KB 
ID:	11507

If you use the 7mm hole in the wide tub (e.g. ice cream carton) idea for pouring it's very civilised and controllable, you won't have any problems.
    Definitely going to use that method, seems like a winner!
    Last edited by njhussey; 04-02-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

What Width is the machine to outsides of Steel.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 04-02-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Very apt The Avatar. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    What Width is the machine to outsides of Steel.?
    Its 850 to the outside of the x axis beams (100x50) I think, not got the laptop fired up so can't check.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Its 850 to the outside of the x axis beams (100x50) I think, not got the laptop fired up so can't check.
    Ok well sorry don't think I can help then.! . . . I've got one of these spare in pieces Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0147_1.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	11511 but I'm sure it's only 800mm wide thou I will Dig parts out tomorrow and check.!

Cheers for the offer Dean, I've just measured and it's 900mm wide to the outside of the end plates

I've just bought a load of (800) various size bzp metric socket cap head set screws, got a quote from the company that my firm uses and then did a Google and found these guys who seemed to be a good price...fasteners :: set screws socket allen key :: cap head metric bzp ::
    Neil...

Build log...here

Cut up some of the 100x50x4 rectangular section steel to make a temporary gantry and just placed it on the x axis rails to check I cut it to the correct length!

Apologies for the blurred photo, took it on my phone...

Name:	Cut_Temp_Gantry.JPG 
Views:	419 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	11552

Close up of the steel...fresh off the bandsaw so still got swarf and cutting coolant.

Name:	Cut_Temp_Gantry_1.JPG 
Views:	468 
Size:	393.6 KB 
ID:	11551

I'll hopefully weld up the two pieces tomorrow and drill the mounting holes for the 20mm carriages in the 200mm long bits. I'm thinking of bolting the L shaped gantry to the 200mm pieces and then once it's square I'll stitch weld them to keep them square. Going to epoxy the face of the gantry for the rails and also the bottom of the 200mm pieces so the carriages sit flush unless by some miracle the steel is perfectly flat...

Had a delivery of some cap head bolts last week, I know I'll need more and different sizes but this should get me going!

Name:	Cap_head_bolts.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	397.6 KB 
ID:	11553
    Neil...

Build log...here

Any recommendations on 'best' place to get bolts ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Page 22 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread Information