. .

Thread: Newbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hey all,

Nice to see a lively/thriving forum.

My ambition for the year ahead is to build a reasonable sized CNC router - and use it to build an electric guitar.

I have some experience with 3D printers, CAD and have an engineering background.

This is my first stop - I hope you're all approachable as I'll be needing plenty of help/assistance.

If the forum permits it I may document my progress on both builds :)

Stay safe all

Welcome to the forum.
    I've already built the CNC router, but my main project for 2022 is an electric guitar so we'll have to compare notes. I think one of the key lessons to learn is when the CNC machine is a help and when you're likely to end up taking all day to sort out a job that could have been done in half an hour with the right hand-tools. Assuming you don't want to batch-produce 25 at a time of course! Shaping the neck is likely to be one of the main contenders there.

I'll say this before anyone else gets the chance...

Don't buy any parts for the machine until you have a design sorted out and have had a good look over the forum and asked lots of questions.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Thanks for the reply - and your wise words!

I plan to write a detailed post for the CNC side of things and take on board suggestions - and have a read around as I'm sure lead screw vs belt driven etc have already been answered a million times.

For the guitar building side - I've today discovered Crimson Custom Guitars on YouTube. I'm convinced it's a young Bill Bailey :D I've learned alot in such a short space of time - and what you said about the right hand tools being the better choice ring true.

HI,

I bought a CNC last year ( JazzCNC) and have been having fun building guitars since I got it. Have a look at my post here if you want to see what Ive been getting up to....

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/14702...azzCNC-machine

Ive also started a couple more Les Pauls since then as well and am planning a Thinline F hole strat too, I will hopefully have the body done for that before I go back to work in the new year fingers crossed...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	together.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	30730

regards

Ben

Hi and welcome to the forum,
    I am not really into guitars but I was looking for Fusion360 tutorials and came across this Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xdTgLbw-yuMHj8 - really interesting.

Welcome to the forum simzter
    You might find this of interest
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10229...hlight=washout
    Regards
    Mike

Thank you for all your replies. @BeeceUK your LP looks amazing! Hopefully I'll be able to draw up some plans for a provisional CNC build soon and then throw it out there for some critique before I spend any money.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeceUK View Post
    HI,

I bought a CNC last year ( JazzCNC) and have been having fun building guitars since I got it. Have a look at my post here if you want to see what Ive been getting up to....

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/14702...azzCNC-machine

Ive also started a couple more Les Pauls since then as well and am planning a Thinline F hole strat too, I will hopefully have the body done for that before I go back to work in the new year fingers crossed...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	together.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	30730

regards

Ben
    Nice to see you have been making it crack Ben, looking very nice. Did your Brother like the one you did him.?

Quote Originally Posted by simzter View Post
    Thank you for all your replies. @BeeceUK your LP looks amazing! Hopefully I'll be able to draw up some plans for a provisional CNC build soon and then throw it out there for some critique before I spend any money.
    That's the Secret.? Don't spend any money until you know exactly what's involved and what parts are required to do the job correctly.
    Building a working CNC machine isn't overly complicated but building an accurate and reliable machine is a different thing and very very easy to buy the wrong components, it also requires a reasonable amount of equipment along with the skills to use them and plenty of time to research and build.!

(This next bit may come across like I'm trying to steer you to buy one of my machines but it's honestly not, it's just another way to look at it, one that often happens so something people should seriously consider when planning to DIY build!)

Some people like Ben and many others realise they won't have the time or equipment so choose to buy from builders like myself, obviously, this comes at a premium as they have to pay the builders price but often it actually works out cheaper long term and in many cases not always such a long term if you have the work for the machine.
    Buying allows you to get cutting straight away and if bought from the right builder should be accurate straight away and if you do have any reliability issues the builder deals with those, plus if bought from a decent builder you will get support with operating the machine and the controller, etc.

DIY building is very very very rewarding but it's very easy to get wrong and nearly always 99% of the time costs at least 50 to 60% more than expected and often 100% longer than planned, if it gets finished at all, many don't.? Most builders get movement then abandon all plans to finish after the first cuts....Lol

But if you do decide to continue with the DIY route then you are starting in the right place and with the right approach, the best advice is to research then research some more then when you think you have it nailed down do a little more research then start a build thread and ask questions before parting with a penny. Good luck.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Hey - thank you for the input. I think your comments are fair and eerily sum up the majority of my projects in my youth.

The honest answer about the DIY route (no pun intended) is mostly down to cashflow. I can't justify *picking a random number* £1,500 up front for all the parts I need in one go - however I can swallow that number over 6 months and build the project gradually. I think the excitement of the bits arriving every other week is part of the fun - as is when things don't move when they should - or move unexpectedly.

I think the JZR9060 would comfortably cater for any guitar body and neck cuts :) If I had an idea and the ability to make a living from the machine - then I'd invest in something prebuilt and proven - but sadly I have neither - yet.

Maybe one day...

This is worth taking a look @
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/4513-...-router/page66
    Its a long read so lots of tea and Hobnobs required.
    The information is priceless.
    Regards
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information