. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello

Thank you for entering in my post

Today I was told most of the material we are machining are exotic material, I did not even know that, what's the main difference between exotic material and not?

I mean in terms of machinability, and I guess they will have also a different British codes.

We do machine a lot of fabrication jobs which are mainly in mild still or aluminium.

Then we do also machine many amoured alluminiom plates and mild still plates.

If am really machining exotic material I cannot see any difference between a normal material and exotic material regarding machinability

Thank you very much in advance for your support

Are you serious.??? . . . . If you don't know the material grade how are you programing the speed and feeds..!!!

There's huge differences in how Exotic materials are machined compared to every day materials like Mild steels and plain Aluminium grades.

Maybe someone is pulling your chain at work telling you it's an exotic material when it's just normal grade.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Are you serious.??? . . . . If you don't know the material grade how are you programing the speed and feeds..!!!

There's huge differences in how Exotic materials are machined compared to every day materials like Mild steels and plain Aluminium grades.

Maybe someone is pulling your chain at work telling you it's an exotic material when it's just normal grade.
    Yes I think you are definitely right I never machined exotic material

Standard stainless steel grades for instance are 304S, 316S....exotic are UNS31803 Super Duplex Stainless.....
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Standard stainless steel grades for instance are 304S, 316S....exotic are UNS31803 Super Duplex Stainless.....
    Thank you very much!

Do you mean unusual 'exotic' grades of steel and aluminium or do you mean exotic alloy like titanium, cobalt etc?

I guess some unusual grade of aluminium might not be difficult to machine but simply have non-standard properties in other areas. However you will certainly know if you machine solid titanium, carbide, cobalt etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Do you mean unusual 'exotic' grades of steel and aluminium or do you mean exotic alloy like titanium, cobalt etc?

I guess some unusual grade of aluminium might not be difficult to machine but simply have non-standard properties in other areas. However you will certainly know if you machine solid titanium, carbide, cobalt etc..
    Thank you very much for your support

Beware anything with black lipstick, almost always fairly exotic ;-)

Sometimes you need to use a slow feed when drilling exotics.
    Last edited by Tenson; 16-10-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Sometimes you need to use a slow feed when drilling exotics.
    Sometimes exotics drill back
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information