. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello all,

Could you recommend me a good Controller for a mill conversion with an additional 4th rotating axis?

I already have 400W servos (SC04ADK) with LG drives (L7SA004A).

I want to use a laptop with no parallel port and Mach3 or the new Mach4. If you convince me to better use a desktop pc with parallel port/ BOB, I will consider it. I would like to use the laptop for space saving.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by paulus.v; 08-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.

I've just bought one of these 9 axis controllers, 4 Axis available too. http://www.planet-cnc.com/

Not mach compatible though but he does have is own very capable software.

CS Labs is supposed to be the best available.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ger21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Gerry, I've never heard of CS Labs before. Their products look fine and have good prices. What about the analog axis control mode? Does it have any benefits over the step/dir? Smoother operation or it is only for use with older drives?

IanS1, I do not see any reason for using/learning other software than the popular ones, other than price.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    IanS1, I do not see any reason for using/learning other software than the popular ones, other than price.
    If you're already using Mach3 then I suppose that's the way to go and the CSLabs is a very capable controller.

My reason for using the PlanetCNC is that the software has a development kit which will enable me to write my own software. This won't be for a standard mill/router but for a wire bending machine.

Thanks Gerry, I've never heard of CS Labs before. Their products look fine and have good prices. What about the analog axis control mode? Does it have any benefits over the step/dir? Smoother operation or it is only for use with older drives?
    Cslabs controllers are best I've used and nothing but Galil comes close and they cost much more money.

The only advantage the IP-A gives over the IP-S is encoder feedback to the controller so you know what the DRO display is the actual position of the motor.
    With the IP-s you take it on faith the drive arrived at the location it was commanded to go, there is no feedback to say it arrived there.

Thanks Jazz, now I'm a bit confused, not sure which one is better to use, the analog or digital...

Thanks Jazz, now I'm a bit confused, not sure which one is better to use, the analog or digital...
    There is no best really both will work and perform just the same. Only difference (other than no Step/dir) is with the IP-A version you'll get encoder feedback to the controller so will know the exact positon of the motors. It won't make it any more accurate than IP-S.

If you plan to ever use Steppers or drives with Step/Dir then go with IP-S.

Me persoanlly if using servo's with -10/+10v I'd be using IP-A for the Encoder feedback but I'd happily run the IP-S which I do on my own machine.

Edit: Where the IP-A does win over the IP-S is if your using Spindle with encoder as it can control the spindle rotation/position for things like ridged tapping. This is why they are often used on lathe retro fits or industrial Mills with ATC/Ridged tapping.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 09-02-2015 at 03:11 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

I'm helping a friend converting a mill and all this servo stuff is new to me, so I still have a lot of questions I cannot find the answer here..

What is the best approach for homing? Using micro-switches and the encoder z output? Or there is no need for accurate homing.

How to wire the e-stop? For steppers I cut the power to the motor but here I have e-stop input at drives as well as controller. If I use the e-stop this way, the machine will not lose its position, and I can continue the work without homing the machine. Am I right?

I'm helping a friend converting a mill and all this servo stuff is new to me, so I still have a lot of questions I cannot find the answer here..

What is the best approach for homing? Using micro-switches and the encoder z output? Or there is no need for accurate homing.

How to wire the e-stop? For steppers I cut the power to the motor but here I have e-stop input at drives as well as controller. If I use the e-stop this way, the machine will not lose its position, and I can continue the work without homing the machine. Am I right?
    I've used encoders many times but not in the context of cnc machines. As I understand it, homing works as you suggest, the switch detects the gantry approaching home and tells the system to start counting the encoder pulses to actual home position.

Regarding e-stops, most people would kill the power if an e-stop was activated because it's an emergency situation. If you want the machine to stop you should use a 'Stop' button instead.
    Either way if power is left on to the encoder and Mach3 for example then the position should not be lost. If the encoders are absolute as opposed to incremental then they will always know their position even if the power has been off. As I mentioned this is how they work on equipment I've used in the past, maybe wait until a cnc user replies for more appropriate info.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 16-02-2015 at 08:15 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information