. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ok I have 3 x 18v 3a motors to run in parallel. I was thinking of using a 24v 10 amp battery charger..will I die ?
    And can I add a potentiometer somewhere easily to it or do I need a PWM with pot?

Here’s what I was thinking:
    10AMP 12V/24V HEAVY DUTY BATTERY CHARGER ELECTRICAL CAR VEHICLE VAN TRUCK LORRY

Split the power to :
    3 x UK New 12V-36V 3A DC Motor Speed Regulator Controller Switch Control PWM HHO RC

Then wire all 3 pots up to a bigger pot and use rubber soled shoes to test it all?
    Now I know if I wired all 3 motors to the charger they will work (I’ve seen it on youtube) but no speed control.

Just seen Lee's post , wonder if I could run them off one of these.. ? LINK Mean well SP-200-24 24v 8.4a PSU power supply battery charger

Or AC-DC Switching Power Supply Module AC 100-240V to 24V 9A Power Supply Board FK wonder if the FK stands for FUCK ! when it blows up and takes an eyebrow off ?

Brand new ang High quality
    Input Voltage:AC 100-240V 50/60HZ
    Output Voltage:DC 24V
    Output Current:6-9A
    Output Power:150W(Max 220W)

Thanks Five :)
    Last edited by Fivetide; 27-11-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just use one PWM controller rated at the sum plus 15% or so to run all three.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Just use one PWM controller rated at the sum plus 15% or so to run all three.
    what abot the AC to DC feeding : 10-50V 40A PWM DC Motor Speed Controller CW/CCW Reversible Pulse Driver TE535

Specifications:
    Working voltage: DC 10~50V
    Sustained current: 40A
    Maximum current: 60A
    Speed range: 0%~100%
    CW/CCW: Support
    Output voltage: Load linear
    Speed principle: Current regulation
    Dimension: Approx. 110 x 78 x 38mm

??

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    Ok I have 3 x 18v 3a motors to run in parallel. I was thinking of using a 24v 10 amp battery charger..will I die ?
    And can I add a potentiometer somewhere easily to it or do I need a PWM with pot?

Here’s what I was thinking:
    10AMP 12V/24V HEAVY DUTY BATTERY CHARGER ELECTRICAL CAR VEHICLE VAN TRUCK LORRY
    That is only a 24V/5A so it will not work, at least not with any significant torque, if at all. You get 10A out only if you flip the switch to 12V out.

No, you will probably not die if you connect it, but of course, no guarantee is given by me. Anyway, why would you buy that to run motors? I mean, as far as I know, lead battery chargers pulse the output, which means that you need to modify the charger to get constant voltage and current out of it, and based on your questions, you can't do that. Why not buy a proper power supply? OK, more expensive... but there is a reason.

It should work fine, I'm a big fan of component systems though, that way if one bit fails you replace it but at that price it's probably worth a punt on the integrated unit.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    That is only a 24V/5A so it will not work, at least not with any significant torque, if at all. You get 10A out only if you flip the switch to 12V out.

No, you will probably not die if you connect it, but of course, no guarantee is given by me. Anyway, why would you buy that to run motors? I mean, as far as I know, lead battery chargers pulse the output, which means that you need to modify the charger to get constant voltage and current out of it, and based on your questions, you can't do that. Why not buy a proper power supply? OK, more expensive... but there is a reason.
    I thought it was 5 - 10 amps ? Anyway I rechecked the values and each motor pulls 1.7 Ah so I was thinking about 24v 5a 120w or I could go for the 24v 10A 240w ? there's only £5 difference. Couple that like magicniner suggested to the 10-50V 40A PWM DC Motor Speed Controller CW/CCW Reversible Pulse Driver TE535 and hopefully it will have the power.. what do you think ?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

First of all, forget potentiometers. You would need f**cking great big wirewound ones to handle the power.

Also for 18v motors I would use an 18v supply. PWM controllers give you full voltage, but vary the on/off ratio. This means you get full torque, but the power is in bursts, which regulates the speed. If you are using 24v then you could burn out the motors.

I look forward to the time you show your balls to the forum !

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    I thought it was 5 - 10 amps ? Anyway I rechecked the values and each motor pulls 1.7 Ah so I was thinking about 24v 5a 120w or I could go for the 24v 10A 240w ? there's only £5 difference. Couple that like magicniner suggested to the 10-50V 40A PWM DC Motor Speed Controller CW/CCW Reversible Pulse Driver TE535 and hopefully it will have the power.. what do you think ?
    It's 12V/10A or 24V/5A you can not select the ampere, only the voltage. Get a proper power supply like this instead of a charger:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272388436734...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You are better off with those than a battery charger designed for charging lead batteries.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 28-11-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    It's 12V/10A or 24V/5A you can not select the ampere, only the voltage. Get a proper power supply like this instead of a charger:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272388436734...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You are better off with those than a battery charger designed for charging lead batteries.
    Ok it seems I need to think a bit more about this.. this is what I'm trying to replicate for my Uncle. But we have managed to gather 3 x 18v 1.7aH drills so far between us.

Last edited by Fivetide; 28-11-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

How about three steppers
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information