. .

Thread: Timing Belts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Evening Jonathan, thanks for the reply, I can drive 1 screw directly with stepper and pulley from one screw to other with pulley, i dont have a choice about the slaving. so option 1, and i will drive 1 screw directly with stepper.. Magic Thanks.

I do have lateral screw adjustment from 755mm to 765mm center to center so fingers crossed manufacturing tolerences should not be a problem..

Rick
    Am I missing something but, isn't it possible to locate the motor between the two lead screws and fit two pulleys to the motor to drive two belts?

Quote Originally Posted by boldford View Post
    Am I missing something but, isn't it possible to locate the motor between the two lead screws and fit two pulleys to the motor to drive two belts?
    That's tricky with a Nema 23/24 motor since the shaft is not long enough to accomodate two pulleys for 15mm wide belts. You could bolt two pulleys together, so one would overhang on the shaft, but that might be a bit much force for the motor bearings. Adding an extra bearing would sort that, but if you don't have access to a lathe or milling machine that gets tricky.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

You are quite correct you could do that in a simillar way as stated in another post and have a V arrangement to cover tensioning, however i havnt mentioned it before but i have such a limited working space that there is only just enough room below the bed for the belt .. But thanks anyhow...hope that makes things a little clearer..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That's tricky with a Nema 23/24 motor since the shaft is not long enough to accomodate two pulleys for 15mm wide belts. You could bolt two pulleys together, so one would overhang on the shaft, but that might be a bit much force for the motor bearings. Adding an extra bearing would sort that, but if you don't have access to a lathe or milling machine that gets tricky.
    Bore 'em out then fix 'em on a common sleeve. The tension on the two belts would tend to cancel out if the thrusts are arranged to be reasonably opposite. The belts don't necessarily need to be the same length so the motor need not be centrally between the leadscrews.

Just my two-penny-worth.

The tension on the two belts would tend to cancel out if the thrusts are arranged to be reasonably opposite.
    Yes of course, but one of the pulleys is much further from the front motor bearing so there will still be a larger moment load on the shaft. Still, I'm probably being being overly cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Within reason - using too small pulleys can stress the belt too much or risk leaving not enough belt teeth engaged with the pulley. I avoid using less than 15T pulleys for this reason.i
    If you look I said any belt that "suits" and obviously too small giving wrong tooth engagement wouldn't suit would it.?

Yes it is and that's how I did it first time but found it hard to get even tension on each belt.! It also means having the screws offset or one machined longer or like in my case where I hadn't allowed for this when machined due to originally going to use slaved motors screw extensions needed making.

The way I have it now isn't pretty but it works very very good and super reliable and easy to swap ratios.!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc2 057.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	6450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc2 058.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	6451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc2 059.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	6452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc2 062.jpg 
Views:	1074 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	6453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc2 063.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	6454  

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    If you look I said any belt that "suits" and obviously too small giving wrong tooth engagement wouldn't suit would it.?
    True, hence I clarified for anyone who does not know that a small pulley not be suitable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information