. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    But even so, hand on your heart, would you really recommend it for cutting steel?
    Well YES.!! . .. Compared to sanding it away with emery paper then I'd certainly recommend it Robin. . . .End of the day it's all relative to the job in hand and the tools available to you.? . . . Certainly better than nothing.

To be honest the same could be said for common milling machine conversions when it comes to cutting or engraving aluminium or 3D work in aluminium.? Compared to a stiff router like Jonathan's new creation then your typical slow running spindle milling machine will be inferior just like routers are for cutting steel.! . . Same principle really.!!
    Yes typical Milling machine conversion will cut and engrave Ali and do 3D work in Ali but in comparison it will be much slower due to it's snail pace spindle.!!

Don't knock what you haven't tried.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Cutting steel is easy enough with a router provided the machines stiff enough and you use the correct tool for the Job.!
    I'm not going to argue because you'll just get cross (Why is there no :sad: smiley? Even I could draw a freakin' sad smiley)

I'm not going to argue because you'll just get cross (Why is there no :sad: smiley? Even I could draw a freakin' sad smiley)
    Unless your calling Jonathan and me lier's then to me Nothing to Argue about.!!. . . . You said it can't be done, Jonathan showed you proof it could and I'm telling you I've done it many times and pointed you to the tools to do it. . . Nuff said.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 05-09-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Anyway back on topic.!!

Dudz the X5070 4 flute will cut steel ok but can't give you any help on DOC or Feeds really has your machine will be the determining factor here.
    Trial and error will be needed to find the sweet spot for your machine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in Dunedin, New Zealand. Last Activity: 06-02-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 275. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Well that was all amusing first thing on a morning....

Thanks Jazz. Its def not something I need to do all the time. I don't really care if it takes 3hrs rather than 5 mins.
    3 axis CNC/router / Alu profile frame....25mm Alu Cutting bed X=500mm Y=300mm Z=110mm.....Supported 25mm X rails ....Supported 20mm Y rails....Supported 20mm Z rails.....2.2kw Chinese WC spindle..... CSLAB CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis Ethernet Motion Controller....M542 Drivers..SY60STH86-3008BF Motors...running....Mach3 / Cambam / Emachineshop.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Unless your calling Jonathan and me lier's then to me Nothing to Argue about.!!. . .
    Blimey, where did that come from? I know you aren't used to people disagreeing with you, but getting cross doesn't mean you are right.

You are suggesting this chap buys an expensive tool bit, tries to wind it sideways through a lump of steel and hopefully discovers some miraculous "sweet spot" from the start so it doesn't break?

I wish him luck.

Wow, you made a router that was heavier than your milling machine ?
    Milling machine is 167kg, router is 225kg and will be more when filled with sand, so yes. More importantly it's also stiffer than the milling machine in at least one axis and has the same amount of backlash as your milling machine :)

But even so, hand on your heart, would you really recommend it for cutting steel?
    It depends on the situation. I would recommend it to Sasha (whose machine it is), because that's all he's got and can't get a reasonable size milling machine in his house. However if you're cutting a lot of steel then clearly using a lower speed spindle would be the way forward.

I won one of the fancy blue tools on eBay cheaply a while ago but I've not tried it yet as it seems like it would be just too easy to break. In dudz's situation I would try using cheap 1/8" carbide cutters as the small diameter makes the high spindle speed more reasonable (6000rpm should be OK) plus you can break a fair few finding the sweet spot before you've spent as much as the 'X5070' costs.

On a related topic, if you've got one of the Chinese water cooled spindles it's possible to get a bit more torque out of it at low speed. All you have to do is alter the V/f curve parameters in the VFD to raise the voltage slightly at low speed. This increases the flux and thus the torque output available, however you can only gain a little due to saturation. The no-load losses at low speed will increase dramatically (e.g. 10x more) so only raise the voltage a little bit at a time, and keep an eye on the no load current. Clearly this means your water cooling system must be good. You can gain a useful amount of torque from doing this, but do be very careful as it's probably an easy way to burn out the spindle if you're not careful.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    stiffer than the milling machine in at least one axis and has the same amount of backlash as your milling machine :)
    In that case, you deserve to succeed. It is a lot of effort for a few microns but once you have it, there is no going back

Blimey, where did that come from? I know you aren't used to people disagreeing with you, but getting cross doesn't mean you are right.

You are suggesting this chap buys an expensive tool bit, tries to wind it sideways through a lump of steel and hopefully discovers some miraculous "sweet spot" from the start so it doesn't break?

I wish him luck.
    Ok first I wasn't remotely cross and honestly don't give a flying toss if people agree or disagree with me.!!. . . I know what I know and pass it on when asked or think it can help.!!

Personally I would rather someone recommend to me cutter they have successfully used rather than work my way thru several cutters trying to find one that does the job.

I'll ask you this.!!. . . . If you cut a new unknown to you material on your milling machine even with a cutter you know or have been advised works on that material by a trusted source would you go wading into a lump of steel.?? . . . . No you would take it easy and find the sweet spot.? . . . .You wouldn't waste time and money testing with cheap cutters has you've been told a specific cutter can handle the job.

The cutter I recommended is made to be run at high speed cutting dry It's the correct tool for this exact situation. I've used them and know they work with the same spindle Dudz is using.
    If I had the same machine with same spindle I'd tell him the cutting conditions I use but I don't, so I can't. So next best is to advise careful approach regards DOC and Feed which is mostly dependent on machine stiffness and spindle power so what's the problem here.?. . . . That's a sensible approach to me given the situation.!

Certainly better suggestion than saying don't bother it can't be done because it's not a milling machine.!!. . . Jezzz if we listened to crap like that DIY CNC would never have happened.!!

Come on Robin Get real Man and stop the snobbish elite-ism that only milling machines can cut steel.!! . . . Yes they cut it easier and deeper but still can be done by other machines with correct tooling and care.!

Now chill buddy.!!. . . I am.!!.

Hi Jazz

I'd love to stop and chat but I have too much to do today. We'll have to do it another time.

Hugs

Robin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information