. .
    I'm Jannes from Belgium, I just finished college and got a job at my internship so I'm finally part of the working class, as they say. I work as a Frontend Developper at Aptus, a pretty young company but with big goals and a focus on IoT.

In my spare time I like to tinker with things, experiment with my 3D Printer, go for walks with my dog or go rock climbing.

I've signed up since I'm doing alot of research to finally start my first build. My main goal for the build is to cut wood but also be able to cut aluminium pretty easily. I've started designing some plans in Fusion 360 but it's going really slow as I'm not a 100% sure on what components to use.

For the motors I've really got my eyes on those Clearpath servo's they seem awesome as heck, they do come at a hefty price but it seems reasonable to me and they can always come with me to the next project. For drive I'm contemplating either R&P or ballscrews. For linear guides I'm going the obvious choice of those linear guide profiles.

Size wise it would be about 1m x 0.8m.

Right now I'm looking where to buy all the stuff so I can come up with a general idea of total cost. (Feel free to point me in the right direction)

Anyway, Hii!

Hello,

There are plenty of build logs here, just select the best parts you like from each build and put those together. Do nothing and buy nothing until your design has been looked over here and some advice given.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

3. Quote Originally Posted by JannesV View Post
    I'm Jannes from Belgium, I just finished college and got a job at my internship so I'm finally part of the working class, as they say. I work as a Frontend Developper at Aptus, a pretty young company but with big goals and a focus on IoT.

In my spare time I like to tinker with things, experiment with my 3D Printer, go for walks with my dog or go rock climbing.

I've signed up since I'm doing alot of research to finally start my first build. My main goal for the build is to cut wood but also be able to cut aluminium pretty easily. I've started designing some plans in Fusion 360 but it's going really slow as I'm not a 100% sure on what components to use.

For the motors I've really got my eyes on those Clearpath servo's they seem awesome as heck, they do come at a hefty price but it seems reasonable to me and they can always come with me to the next project. For drive I'm contemplating either R&P or ballscrews. For linear guides I'm going the obvious choice of those linear guide profiles.

Size wise it would be about 1m x 0.8m.

Right now I'm looking where to buy all the stuff so I can come up with a general idea of total cost. (Feel free to point me in the right direction)

Anyway, Hii!
    One thing to think about in the cost side is tools, I've spent a fortune on kit peripheral to the build itself... Servos are a complex place to start as I understand - why not steppers? You should put your design on here for a critique. At that size ballscrews would be the best choice I should think.
    I would get the machine mechanics designed and built before you spend a penny on electronics...

Look forward to seeing it evolve - welcome to the forum.

Tools I have plenty of access to, so that won't be a problem. And it was my plan to first fully build the mechanical side and then order the electrical components. As soon as i have some design worth showing I'll create a thread and ask for some input there. I was leaning mostly towards ballscrews so that's good :D

Thanks !

Thread Information