. .
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    dean could I ask how wide you go for you y/z setup? 200ish?
    Many good ideas in those photos, can I steal some? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    Many good ideas in those photos, can I steal some? :-)
    Go for it take what you like and if not sure just ask.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

dean could I ask how wide you go for you y/z setup? 200ish?
    Yes, 200mm is about right.

Just note that in these pics the rails are on the back plate and bearings on the front plate. This is because these machines required deep material thickness's with long tools so Z axis needed to lift high. They also only going to cut wood or softer materials.
    If don't require thick material or long tools then Stronger Z axis can be made by putting rails on front plate and bearings on the back plate.

This pic uses rails on front plate notice that it's highest Z position. Also notice Charlie 90x45 profile in L config.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0917.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	391.7 KB 
ID:	23789

Name:	IMAG0916.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	460.2 KB 
ID:	23790
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 20-02-2018 at 12:23 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

I wont need this machine to use particularly long tools but 120mm z travel minimum would be nice . Do you think this is doable with this design with the rails on the front plate ?

I wont need this machine to use particularly long tools but 120mm z travel minimum would be nice . Do you think this is doable with this design with the rails on the front plate ?
    Yes If remember correctly the machine in pic below is 120mm and that is using short gantry sides. Most I've built allow 150-160mm. That is total travel so got to factor longest tool to get actually Max material thinkness.

Also if using the 120x80 setup you can gain little clearence and extra travel because bottom rail is on front not underside of profile.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 20-02-2018 at 12:30 AM.

cheers many thanks indeed sounds like it should work for my needs, ill get all the other details figured out and hopefully I can get to work!
    Last edited by charlieuk; 20-02-2018 at 12:38 AM.

so I went back to the start and stated fresh as I had made a few mistakes on the size

im still thinking of in cooperating a 4th axis to also machine aluminum.

im assuming running it down the length of the x to one side is the best option as it will be stiffer with the spindle not traveling across the gantry.

What I cant decide is is it better to have it inside the main frame or mounted outside given the main machine is going to be fairly heavy duty and was going to have raised rails. What I don't want is it to take loads of time to set the 4th up so I never end up using it but at the same time it would be good to keep the machine as compact as possible.

any one got any advise?

Name:	3Capture.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	23849

Something like this you mean.!

Name:	20171012_115038.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	351.8 KB 
ID:	23851

yes although with the raised rails on my frame it wont make it quite so easy/ neat otherwise it would be trying to have it setup on the inside of the main frame and x rails.

I do have enough width to have it going across with the y axis but not sure if its silly to do that because of the less rigidity the gantry will have in the center all be it probably not a huge amount.

yes although with the raised rails on my frame it wont make it quite so easy/ neat otherwise it would be trying to have it setup on the inside of the main frame and x rails.

I do have enough width to have it going across with the y axis but not sure if its silly to do that because of the less rigidity the gantry will have in the center all be it probably not a huge amount.
    If you look close you'll see the Y axis doesn't drop below the gantry so even with raised sides it will pass over the rails.
    Not sure what you mean by less rigidity.? This setup doesn't affect rigidity at all. While the gantry is wider the bearings are still located exactly at same place they would be if gantry ended at rails. Only thing it does is make machine wider. This is offset by the fact don't loose any cutting area and no messing around with setup.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information