. .
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Many thanks for that jazz although i am only just strating to learn about this side of it it does make sense what you are saying.

cnc4you have been super helpful and even dropped in to see them and they spent ages going through everything and offered full support on getting it all wired up correctly and running and even offered to switch parts over if for some reason i needed to so seeing as this is my first build that was quite reassuring. Im not saying zapp dont offer the same but i just have only spoke very briefly to them but they we very quick at giving me advice on the motors.

this was the digital driver i think cnc4u have added recently, i have no idea if it is suitable or similar to the EM806 you recommend
    Digital DSP Stepper Driver 7.2A, 80VDC or 60VAC CWD872

when you mention slaved motors are you talking about two motors on one axis or one motor driving the two screw like i am having?

im happy to get the product from were ever but feel it would be nice to support kevin and brian if they have a suitable product as i could do with as much help as posable when it come to getting the motors and electronics up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    this was the digital driver i think cnc4u have added recently, i have no idea if it is suitable or similar to the EM806 you recommend
    Digital DSP Stepper Driver 7.2A, 80VDC or 60VAC CWD872
    They are similair to the EM806 in that they use PID technology and can tune them selfs to the motors but they still lack the abilty to go in and tweak thru software in the avent of resonance problems. Now in practice it's likely won't have any troubles but if you do then you still can't do anything about it other than alter the Micro stepping which is less than ideal.
    To be honest IMO Leadshine lead the way when it comes to this technology and the others are either cheap copy's or better quality copies playing catch up. My gut feeling is these drives are ok Copies of leadshine technology but can't use the Software option for legal reasons.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying these drives are no good because I've not used them before but they don't give the same flexabilty or features as leadshine drives. That said, it could be said, they don't cost the same either so your not paying for the features either and if you don't need them why pay for them.? . . . Which is fine if you can be sure your not going to run into resonace problems but like I pointed out before if you do you'll wish you'd payed £15-20 more to be able to tune it out.!

Being in business I applaued your attitude regards supporting helpful business or people and Having help and advise on hand is also valuable but hey you have a Forum full of help and I've offered my number so you have experienced phone support if you need it so I wouldn't compromise my machine just to carry favor.! . . You can still support them by buying other items from them, like there motors which are Ok.

when you mention slaved motors are you talking about two motors on one axis or one motor driving the two screw like i am having?
    I mean 2 motors working same Axis that need to run in sync. Imagine the carnage that happens when one motor stalls but other keeps going when 2 motors slaved to the same axis.!! . . . You need some way to tell the other motor to stop as well. The stall detect and it's fault signal provide this abilty.
    While the stall detect is mostly of benefit to slaved motors it is also useful to stop the machine when using single motors on each axis in case one axis stalls. This can often save the job if a stall does happen and your not around or quick enough to E-stop the machine before too much damage is done.
    (Often Stalls happen at higher feeds, like rapid speeds, when torque is at it's lowest. So you can recover from stall before damage is done because rapid move stalls tend to just mean positional loss and are not engaged in the cut or material.!)
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 12-05-2014 at 12:28 AM.

Many thanks for that info again, i will most likely then go for the EM806 drivers from zapp as it does sound like a worth will benefit as the machine is so big in the x axis.

cnc4you nema 23 were as zap call them SY60STH86-3008B, will they in fact be exactly the same? i will most probably get those and the rest of the little parts from cnc4you.

Zapp mentioned that it may be worth running a nema 34 on the x axis with possibly one of there 3 to 1 gearboxes which would allow a direct drive which may simplify things but not sure if i will be able to fit it all in like that without having to mount the motor up top and still have the belt that i was originally planning.

Does any one have any experience with the quality of the zapp gearboxes for the nema 34?

Many thanks again for all the help sorry for so many questions but i just want to be double sure on every thing as it is all totally new to me and obviously a lot of money involved in it all that is extremely tight.

Looking forward to seeing this beast up and running.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Your not the only one! so long as i don't go broke before i get it done hopefully it wont be too too long. Almost got all the plates drawn up on cad for the y and z but now looking for two suitable pulleys to use for the y axis that go ether side of the motor like in the pic i posted on the last page

tried ebay but cant think of what search to do to narrow it down? any ideas it just needs to have a flat surface and barring for it to run on.
    Last edited by charlieuk; 28-11-2014 at 12:39 AM.

Charlie
    Just use as many bearings as you need to cover your belt width
    mount them on a bolt and place shim washers between each bearing( on the id)
    if you use a bearing say 30mm od 10 mm id and width say 9mm thats a 6200 very cheap and easy way of making idler pulleys

Ian
    Last edited by IanParkin; 12-05-2014 at 09:48 AM.

It's hard to say how good the driver from CNC4You is, as the description doesn't state what algorithm they use - just some 'buzzwords' which appeal to those who don't know so much about the subject. We can therefore only speculate as to which is best - e.g. the lack of software tuning could be a disadvantage, or it could just mean the drives uses algorithms to automatically 'adapt and learn', so manual tuning is not required.

cnc4you nema 23 were as zap call them SY60STH86-3008B, will they in fact be exactly the same? i will most probably get those and the rest of the little parts from cnc4you.
    I have not observed a tangible different between the two motors from the measurements I have taken.

Zapp mentioned that it may be worth running a nema 34 on the x axis with possibly one of there 3 to 1 gearboxes which would allow a direct drive which
    You appear to have ballscrew on the Z-axis, so the mechanical advantage to the motor to lift the axis is already huge. You definitely don't need and therefore shouldn't use a bigger motor on the Z-axis as it is important for this machine to have quite high feedrates, which you certainly wont get with a Nema 34 motor, especially with a gearbox.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Arrr yes i totally forgot about that im sure now i have seen pictures of that just totally forgot i will defiantly do that many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It's hard to say how good the driver from CNC4You is, as the description doesn't state what algorithm they use - just some 'buzzwords' which appeal to those who don't know so much about the subject. We can therefore only speculate as to which is best - e.g. the lack of software tuning could be a disadvantage, or it could just mean the drives uses algorithms to automatically 'adapt and learn', so manual tuning is not required.

I have not observed a tangible different between the two motors from the measurements I have taken.

You appear to have ballscrew on the Z-axis, so the mechanical advantage to the motor to lift the axis is already huge. You definitely don't need and therefore shouldn't use a bigger motor on the Z-axis as it is important for this machine to have quite high feedrates, which you certainly wont get with a Nema 34 motor, especially with a gearbox.

Many thanks Jonathan for that i will see if i can find out more about the cnc4you drivers if posable but it sounds like all you lot use the others so hopefully all your support will be sufficient to get me out of any problems im bound to have.

the z axis and y axis is a ball screw and will be the nema 23 3nm . The long X axis is what they suggested the nema 34 possibly with a gearbox for as the gantry weight will be some where around the 60kg area sorry i may have confused you.

best regards

the z axis and y axis is a ball screw and will be the nema 23 3nm . The long X axis is what they suggested the nema 34 possibly with a gearbox for as the gantry weight will be some where around the 60kg area sorry i may have confused you.
    Sorry, that was my fault - for some reason I read 'x axis' as 'z axis'. The gearbox is a reasonable suggestion for X - you need something there (be it a gearbox or belt) to get sufficient resolution and better acceleration.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information