. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi Guys,

I got my first CNC machine working yesterday. It is a CNC3040 from eBay and although I had lots of problems with broken parts I finally got it going and cut a roadrunner :)

New as I am to this stuff I have a few questions I hope you can help with:

1) I got a TB6560 controll board from eBay* and it has 3 banks of 6 DIP switches. The PDF for the board seems to expect there is just one bank of 6 switches. Can anybody explain the extra ones, please?

2) Micro-step. What is it?

3) The machine accepts 3mm shank tool bits. Where can I get tools with 3mm shank? My usual router has 6mm shank bits.

4) It would be nice to add a turning axis to do metal lathe work (wood too if possible). Can anyone advise the easiest way to do this? I guess I don't need stepper control of the turning, just a speed control. I assume I can then install a lathe cutting tool in place of the usual spindle motor.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be back here soon as I will need lots of help!

Simon

Assuming you are talking about the dip switches that control the step resolution (full, 1/2, 1/4 etc) then there should be a set for each axis. Assuming again all the screws and motors are the same then you want to set them all same.

Hope that helps
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Assuming you are talking about the dip switches that control the step resolution (full, 1/2, 1/4 etc) then there should be a set for each axis. Assuming again all the screws and motors are the same then you want to set them all same.

Hope that helps

Thanks, that makes more sense now :)

Also I notice the motors make a fair noise even when they are not moving, but just under control of the board. Is this normal?

Also I notice the motors make a fair noise even when they are not moving, but just under control of the board. Is this normal?
    yep, thats pretty normal for that board

iv also had a ponder on the idea of adding a lathe head of some sort
    in theory you could have a row of turning tools on the bottom of your Z axis for and easy tool change, might be worth the effort if your making a big batch of parts
    iv not fleashed the idea out yet (depends on a job) ill post if i have a crack at it :)

If you use micro stepping the noise will be less, just make sure that you have the board setup to the same as it is in the software you are using.

If you use micro stepping the noise will be less, just make sure that you have the board setup to the same as it is in the software you are using.
    Hi,

I'm using Mach3. Where do I set this, please?

Ah! all wrong all wrong....Only joking

Wait for one of the wondoze Mach3 guru's for that answer i'm an EMC patriot i'm afraid..

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Yes it's normal and they will get hot as well when stood still.! They are actually drawing more current when stood still than when moving without load.

Please note that if you change the step dip switch's you will have to retune the motors in the control software.

The machine accepts 3mm shank tool bits. Where can I get tools with 3mm shank? My usual router has 6mm shank bits.
    Cutweltools.co.uk mainly for milling but metal carbide tools cut wood ok.

4) It would be nice to add a turning axis to do metal lathe work (wood too if possible). Can anyone advise the easiest way to do this? I guess I don't need stepper control of the turning, just a speed control. I assume I can then install a lathe cutting tool in place of the usual spindle motor.
    Forget it the machines not up to cutting metal.!

You can buy purpose built 4th axis from Arceurotrade or make your own using a stepper and pulleys. Then use the spindle to cut material while the 4th axis rotates or holds the material as an indexer for engraving/carving. This is the common setup for wood turning.
    Also On bigger stronger machines it's possible to put the metal to be turned in the spindle and mount cutting tool on the frame then program then Y or X axis to move the spinning material into the static tool. . . . just youtube mill as lathe and you'll find examples.

Hi,

I'm using Mach3. Where do I set this, please?
    Config menu then motortuning. On the motor tuning screen theres an input box that says STEPS PER make a note of this number. Now on the right you will see Axis selection X,Y,Z click on which ever axis you want to change then enter the new number then and THIS IS IMPORTANT else it's any changes are not saved click on the SAVE AXIS SETTINGS button.

Depending whether you step up or down will determine the new steps per amount, so if original was 1/2 step and say 80 steps per and you go to 1/4 then just multiply the steps per x2 so would be 160. If 1/8 would be x 4.

Then re adjust the Accelleration and velocity sliders to tune the motors for best performance. TIP: Dont raise the Accelleration too high else will miss steps.
    Just play around with the sliders untill your happy with it's performance BUT REMEMBER you must Click on the Axis then save every time you make a change.

Edit: The Steps per amount is the amount of steps it takes to move 1 measurement unit, not per revolution.
    So if Mach set to metric units then it's steps per millimeter, if imperial then steps per inch
    It's not steps per revolution.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 29-01-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Ah! all wrong all wrong....Only joking

Wait for one of the wondoze Mach3 guru's for that answer i'm an EMC patriot i'm afraid..
    Nissan girl Does my last post make me A "Wondoze guru" and do I get an official badge. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information