. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I decided a few years ago to build a cnc machine, fixed gantry/moving bed, started off a4, resized to a3 on paper, built machine then increase size to 1200 x 450, all works well large and small, aluminium, plastic and wood, I want to improve machine x axis and make it look better than frankestiens daughter it currently is, she is made from aluminium 40x40 solid box and 60 x 10 flat bar, my first question is will aluminium extrution be as strong or should I stay with solid box/bar, could box section work instead of the sold 40 x 40.

Any help advice appriciated

No pic as I am currently typing this from my hospital bed

Steve
    Last edited by etched4u; 25-01-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Hey fella keep posting some guys n girls (i'm sure) on here that can help!
    Get well soon!

Out of hospital all OK, going to have a look at Google sketch up, also been looking at 100 x 50 x 5 mm box section rather than solid box

Any help/advice pleeeese
    Last edited by etched4u; 25-01-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by etched4u View Post
    Out of hospital all OK, going to have a look at Google sketch up, also been looking at 100 x 50 x 5 mm box section rather than solid box

Any help/advice pleeeese
    Hi and welcome to the forum its difficult for people to give advise on the information you have given. Can you put up some pics of what you have and a bit more detail of what you are trying to achieve.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I will be sorting a few pics of frankestiens daughter over next few days now I am out of hospital

good news,

Bright steel is what your looking at for straightness. This according to my welder friend.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCKitMan View Post
    good news,

Bright steel is what your looking at for straightness. This according to my welder friend.
    Bright steel only means it has been polished. It has no bearing on any straightness or flatness. Your mate may have been referring to bight ground steel also known as drill blank. That comes in small packages and is expensive.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Well I'm not him, nor have I purchased what he suggested yet. He seems to think it's extruded. I may well have got the name wrong. That's just me. I've just used two equal angles from a wood burner as rails. Working fine.

hows you fella? where'd you get to in the end??

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Bright steel only means it has been polished. It has no bearing on any straightness or flatness. Your mate may have been referring to bight ground steel also known as drill blank. That comes in small packages and is expensive.
    Bright Mild Steel has not been polished, it refers to mild steel in its bright drawn form which is significantly straighter and flatter than hot rolled mild steel.
    Last edited by jamesgates1000; 04-04-2018 at 09:19 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesgates1000 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information