. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Location unknown. Bucks Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6136 members to the community.
    I did start looking into the proxxon that someone had suggested, We might have just about managed with the size of it just for the bare minimum we would want to do, but certainly wouldn't be able to do the extra stuff like plaques & clocks etc plus i an thinking we would need a 4th axis for these pen blanks & pens etc

have a look on youtube at the kind of text quality you get on a 3020, 3040 or a 6040 and also on a proxxon MF70 mill converted to cnc
    I think second hand is great because just think what you can buy to upgrade the secondhand machine like a kress spindle bigger steppers better driver boards full alloy plate bed conversion lol you could make a really nice pimped up 3020T for the price you would pay new you could even buy a ton of end mills of every type just for a kress spindle too.
    Just a note some plastics will melt through friction when cutting so you need to investigate that further

you could just someone with all the equipment to do all the cnc work for you ?
    Last edited by Steel; 06-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    Even this 400w air cooled USB one seems to be higher spec than the standard parallel with 230w spindles http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182425912226
    I suggested that you did some research and it does not look like you have. This one you linked to does not have ball screws so how can it be a higher spec? These machine will not make moulds are not reliable and will break down within weeks. They are telling you that you do not need a Mach3 license which is a lie.

Have you thought about the CAD & CAM side of things.

If you ask enough people you will get the answer you want but if you hell bent on throwing your money away then good luck.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Location unknown. Bucks Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6136 members to the community.
    Have been looking at YouTube videos but not really seen much txt will have to have another look!

Still not convincing me on secondhand lol, as I don't want to have to start looking into replacing everything almost as soon as I've bought it.

I know the HDPE seems to machine with my router really well so that should be ok! the plastic stencil type thing I mention could be done with the HDPE aswell.

I did think about getting someone to do the cnc for me, but where's the fun in that lol, once I get sorted with a machine & set up I'm sure the whole family will have fun with it! My 10 year old daughter is already coming up with ideas she wants to do with it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I suggested that you did some research and it does not look like you have. This one you linked to does not have ball screws so how can it be a higher spec? These machine will not make moulds are not reliable and will break down within weeks. They are telling you that you do not need a Mach3 license which is a lie.

Have you thought about the CAD & CAM side of things.

If you ask enough people you will get the answer you want but if you hell bent on throwing your money away then good luck.

What do you think all the questions are then if I'm not doing research??? (and by the way I'm not just asking questions, I've been researching non stop for the last 4-5days, i.e. YouTube, google, Amazon, Ebay & forums etc)
    And yes I have thought of The CAD/CAM side of things & costs, but I know the answers so not asking the questions

Parallel port to USB, 230w-400w isn't this higher spec??? I didn't say that everything was higher spec,

My mum use to tell be if you haven't got anything good or positive to say, don't say anything!!!
    Last edited by Bucks; 06-02-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Heres a sample something i made last night, its not text but you can get an idea of the finish i can get on my second hand 3020T using a 1/4 inch end mill, i dont have any smaller end mills yet so i cant do text
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170206_213654.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	380.4 KB 
ID:	20664
    Last edited by Steel; 06-02-2017 at 10:53 PM.

THANKS for all your feedback Steel it's much appreciated, it's people like you who make forums a pleasant experience :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Heres a sample something i made last night, its not text but you can get an idea of the finish i can get on my second hand 3020T
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170206_213654.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	380.4 KB 
ID:	20664
    THANKS for that! Don't know if I'm not searching right but for the life of me I can't really find any examples of txt with these machines! (probably because all these machines break down before anyone has chance to use them lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    What do you think all the questions are then if I'm not doing research??? (and by the way I'm not just asking questions, I've been researching non stop for the last 4-5days, i.e. YouTube, google, Amazon, Ebay & forums etc)
    And yes I have thought of The CAD/CAM side of things & costs, but I know the answers so not asking the questions

Parallel port to USB, 230w-400w isn't this higher spec??? I didn't say that everything was higher spec,

My mum use to tell be if you haven't got anything good or positive to say, don't say anything!!!
    Buck's you'll do well to listen to Clive he's trying to help you not feed you full of Shit like some on here are doing regards these Cheap chinese machines.
    They will let you down and they will require maintenance in short period of time. All this talk of upgrading etc is rubbish because you can't make Silk purse out of sows Ear and that's what you buying with these machines.

Also Mach3 running from Laptop with parallel port is at best lottery, some work, most don't. It's also got nothing to do with the Frequency and everything thing to do with Voltage and power management. Also You CANNOT use Parallel port to USB converter and don't let anyone tell you different.
    There are Special Devices like UC100 which are Motion control devices which go between the parallel port but there are not converters in the conventional sense.

The simple fact is these Chinese machines are OK for learning but they will break down and will require maintenance within short period of time.
    If you buy one with the intension of using as learning tool and don't expect the world then will be fine. If your wanting to do high quality work in difficult materials then forget them they will disappoint you.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 06-02-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Im off to bed will check in tomorrow around 7pm and see what text stuff i can find for you

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information