. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    How can you do 4 and 5 axis in 2.5D ?

If you can't get the facts correct what credibility do you have ?

To do 4 / 5 axis the program has to have the ability to work with A and B axis, can Easymill do this
    Yes Easymill can rotate parts in 4 and 5 axes - but not while cutting.

I am surprised by your response - you say 'what credibility do you have ?' yet you do not explain what you mean - from my web research there seems to be confusion between rotation axes and 2D/2.5D/3D.

And more specifically a great deal of confusion as to what constitutes 2.5D!

With Easymill as far as I am aware the axis is rotated but doesn't cut while rotating.
    When the part has been rotationally positioned, the cutting starts in 2.5D.

Isn't 5 axis work holding and machine stability beyond hobbyists' budgets? So why is 5 axis an issue for hobbyist software?

I need many clamps just to hold the small pieces I do in x,y,z - so with 5 axes I am not sure how the work pieces would be securely held - unless I get a very expensive machining centre.

Quote Originally Posted by El$syd View Post
    So it's 2.5+2 axis then I suppose, not true 5 axis software as you implied earlier. You could do what easymill does with the A/B axis yourself without too much thinking!
    Last edited by Jonathan; 21-03-2011 at 05:24 PM.

So... elucidate!

I have seen a lot of 'definitions' on the web - what is your definition?
    Not my definition but industry definition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D_%28machining%29

With Easymill as far as I am aware the axis is rotated but doesn't cut while rotating.
    When the part has been rotationally positioned, the cutting starts in 2.5D.

Isn't 5 axis work holding and machine stability beyond hobbyists' budgets? So why is 5 axis an issue for hobbyist software?

I need many clamps just to hold the small pieces I do in x,y,z - so with 5 axes I am not sure how the work pieces would be securely held - unless I get a very expensive machining centre.
    So it is 2.5D

Phil

Have a look and you will see why the software is expensive

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    • A 4 or 5 axis machine is one that moves with 4 or 5 distinct axis, with each controlled independently to each other.
    • 3+2 axis - 5 axis machine where two axis are used for positioning, not moved at the same time as the main 3.
    • 3 axis - obvious
    • 2.5 axis - 3 axis but with Z only 'up' or 'down', possibly some in between but generally making 'flat stuff'.

I'm not sure how you could confuse that software with 4 or 5 axis. The terms are well defined.
    You say the terms are well defined - yet when I see responses on various forum sites and software manufacturers' sites I find different definitions - specifically between 3 axis and 3D - which you call obvious. It does appears to be - x,y,z. If you limit your definition to axes, as you have, then your definition is very clear - however where is the definition for 2.5D and 3D? This is what is confusing!

e.g. - is a 3 axis machine capable of 3D? i.e. can you cut a 'true' 3D object with only 3 axes?

My machine has 3 independent axes - but I can only cut in what most people call 2.5D, I would need an A axis to rotate the part and cut all around it.

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post

Have a look and you will see why the software is expensive

Phil
    That was impressive - thanks for finding it and posting.
    I had seen a number of other videos but this one is excellent!

e.g. - is a 3 axis machine capable of 3D? i.e. can you cut a 'true' 3D object with only 3 axes?

My machine has 3 independent axes - but I can only cut in what most people call 2.5D, I would need an A axis to rotate the part and cut all around it.
    No you need 3D software which easymill is not, if you had an A axis as well you would have 4 axis but you need the software to do 4 axis machining.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    Not my definition but industry definition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D_%28machining%29

So it is 2.5D

Phil
    Reading that wiki definition is still not clear!

e.g.
    This statement in wiki is very clear - In machining, 2.5D refers to a surface which is a projection of a plane into 3rd dimension - although the object is 3-dimensional, there are no overhanging elements possible.
    This statement in wiki is confusing - A 2.5D machine possesses the capability to translate in all three axes but can perform the cutting operation only in two of the three axes at a time.

It seems to be saying that a 2.5D machine can only cut with 2 axes in operation, and the third fixed.
    Yet the first statement indicates that it can cut at full 3D as long as there are no overhangs.

I'm probably misunderstanding - but feel the definition could be clearer.

I am surprised by your response - you say 'what credibility do you have ?' yet you do not explain what you mean - from my web research there seems to be confusion between rotation axes and 2D/2.5D/3D.

By credibility you are selling a piece of software that you don't even know how it works.

Long short is the full version is £2500 for what others are selling for £250 to £350, as I pointed out you can buy a full blown industrial 3D program for $999 with support for users and the company.
    John S -

Lives in Hull, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28-04-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 72.
    So was there ever an answer to the software for lathes?
    I am having fun lol not with lazyturn and miniture tank barrels everything was going well then mach3 just froze and lost the last tool path then decided to part the job
    with a vcmt insert not a happy bunny right now and running out of scrap ally to play with grumble grumble

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information