. .
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I had those thoughts myself but decided to epoxy onto bare metal. I had put metal primer on the box section beam but before putting the moat on I sandpapered it off the top. My intention is to fit the linear rail and paint over everything up to that.
    I'll take the paint off where the epoxy will go with a flapper disc on the angle grinder so it's back to bare metal. I guess the epoxy would be OK when the paint was in the oven (180°C) but will get it painted before just in case.

I know this is somewhat less than scientific but I just had a play with the sample epoxy pour I did 3 days ago, a scriber barely scratched the surface and a centre punch made no more of a mark in it than it did in the steel box section. Overall I'd say that stuff was rock hard.
    That's good to know that it sets rock hard. Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the filing the meniscus off, I can imagine it clogging the file. I might have a go at how Graham (Wobblycogs) suggested getting the meniscus off with a router. If you have a bit with a guide bearing and ran the bearing on the epoxy surface and the router plate on the side of the box section I can see it being quicker. Might have a play when I get there...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the filing the meniscus off, I can imagine it clogging the file.
    A course bastard file works great, then finish off with fine sandpaper wrapped around a wooden block, making sure not to contact the middle area.

I might have a go at how Graham (Wobblycogs) suggested getting the meniscus off with a router. If you have a bit with a guide bearing and ran the bearing on the epoxy surface and the router plate on the side of the box section I can see it being quicker. Might have a play when I get there...
    You're on your own with that idea, keep some bandages handy
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I'll take the paint off where the epoxy will go with a flapper disc on the angle grinder so it's back to bare metal. I guess the epoxy would be OK when the paint was in the oven (180°C) but will get it painted before just in case.
    I had my frame powder coated with the rail tops covered with 50mm masking tape I thought it would burn off but it didn't. Then a scraper removed it quite ok. ..Clive

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

That's good to know Clive, will save a few slips with the flapper disc that's for sure!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

I think a bearing guided bit would work but that wasn't quite what I had in mind. I'd try a chamfer bit with the depth set slightly less than the depth of the epoxy. Run the fence of the router along the edge of the steel. You'd probably need a couple of passes as the leading edge of the router would ride up a little but I'd guess it'd take longer to set up the router than it did to clean up the epoxy. I think this would probably work better with the more often used clamping-wood-to-the-steel method of keeping the epoxy in while it's poured as you wouldn't have to be quite so careful about correctly setting the depth of cut.

Great looking result Eddy.

This is what I was thinking of...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meniscus.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	11498
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    This is what I was thinking of...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meniscus.jpg 
Views:	526 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	11498
    That would work until you get to the end where the router body stop the cutter getting to the end. You could do this with a file in a few minutes

It's been cold overnight here recently so this is the third day since pouring the epoxy, it's set but I'm not confident about taking the moat off just yet.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 04-02-2014 at 11:42 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Must be about time for an update???
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yeah c'mon eddy! How are the rails looking?

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread Information