. .
Page 49 of 82 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    I agree with JazzCNC - loading the stepper motor bearings so much wont end well...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

I lay awake thinking about that last night and came to the conclusion that I was kidding myself it would be ok and should have known better....I'll pocket it deeper and tension the belt from the side....or weld up a bracket from steel that can slide to tension it. Cheers chaps.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    A bracket could be made to fit in between the top and bottom plates projecting back and lapping around the back face of the two plates ( like a tee piece) it would mean the motor is sticking out the back slightly.
    "TOOMAST ..Do you have special machining on ballscrew? I notice longer area for the pulley?" Just order the ball screw with the "F" measurement 30mm instead of standard 15mm. ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 10-03-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Clive I'm going to pocket out the bracket that I've got and use that with a shorter belt I think....well that's the current plan anyway!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quick play on the milling machine...

A few bits for my PSU came today....just need some choc block connectors and some fuses and ill be away...

Neil...

Build log...here

Ok so pulled the gantry apart and machined the front and bottom plates (M8 counterbored hole in each)

Put it all back together and it's nice and solid...

Control cabinet and bits arrived just now so more stuff to play with

Going over to Wobblycogs tonight to have a catch up, talk CNC Routers and look at his control cabinet to get some inspiration...
    Neil...

Build log...here

OK quick question. I'm now coming to the end of the mechanical build so my mind's turning to all things electrical

When connecting the CY cable to the stepper how do you folks do it? I was thinking of either via a chocolate block as near to the stepper as possible or probably I'll go with soldering the wires with heat shrink over them and then heatshrink over the whole lot?
    Neil...

Build log...here

I'd expect soldering+heatshrink to be the most reliable way to do it.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'd expect soldering+heatshrink to be the most reliable way to do it.
    Agreed it's the most hassle free way I find.!

Cheers, just thought that as long as the joins soldered ok then there's no potential at the join for a loose connection.

Next question! I'm going to get a safety relay (probably a second hand Pilz from ebay) for estops, limits, home switches etc. What's a good model to get, I've seen some Pilz PNOZ X3's which seem to fit the bill?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 49 of 82 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread Information