. .
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Bumpety bump for my gantry design above...any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyGeek View Post
    Bumpety bump for my gantry design above...any thoughts?
    Erm.!! . . . It's ok but there's not much holding or supporting that top rail piece. 5mm Ali has no strength in it so your gaining nothing from that really and the Steel plate doesn't add any strength.
    The triangle piece on the X axis is about the only thing supporting it and that's not enough it will flex under cutting and transfer to finish quality.
    At the very minimum I'd have 2 triangle pieces at each side, really i'd make the gantry sides wider and tie the end of both rails into sides has well as double triangles on each side.

On a plus note you could drop those pieces between the rails and steel has you can drill & tap the steel directly. You only really need those when using Alu profile.

Beef the holding of the cross rails and it will be ok.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 17-08-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Thanks Jazz, What about where you are joining the various sections of the steel frame together? I am going to be tapping directly into 3mm wall steel for most of my connections...
    Joe I've drilled holes just less than dia of M12 nuts so tight fit then knocked the nuts into holes just below surface with bolt in threads to protect then weld in place then grind welds flush.

Edit: That was for in middle of sections. At the ends were I could reach I just drilled M12 hole for bolt put nut on inside and welded from inside.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 17-08-2013 at 09:31 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Joe I've drilled holes just less than dia of M12 nuts so tight fit then knocked the nuts into holes just below surface with bolt in threads to protect then weld in place then grind welds flush.

Edit: That was for in middle of sections. At the ends were I could reach I just drilled M12 hole for bolt put nut on inside and welded from inside.
    Little more involved than I was Intending but I guess m6 with only 3threads engaged is a bit measly when I think about it! Are those bolts in your photos earlier on this thread m12 then? They look smaller somehow.

On the x axis RHS presumably you don't weld bolts in place - what do you do there? Hope you don't mind giving away all the trade secrets!!

Cheers
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Are those bolts in your photos earlier on this thread m12 then? They look smaller somehow.

On the x axis RHS presumably you don't weld bolts in place - what do you do there? Hope you don't mind giving away all the trade secrets!!

Cheers
    Joe
    Actually they could be M10, I've forgot now but I've still got one frame part built so can check.!!

To be honest Joe I could have saved loads of time and made things easier by just using large hole cutter creating access holes on out side of frame for access with a Socket and bolting together, I just think it looks neater. In your case it may be better to take this route and put rubber grommets in the access holes.

Regards top rails then yes I welded the middle nuts but could have easily done the same thing here. I wasn't concerned if the top rail distorted because I epoxy level the top rails anyway.

I've got M12 bolts in 3mm box steel holding bearing blocks in place and never moved?
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    I've got M12 bolts in 3mm box steel holding bearing blocks in place and never moved?
    You Lucky bugger it wouldn't work for me that's for sure it'd strip for sure guaranteed. .

Loctited in position and no real forces so fine for my application

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Loctited in position and no real forces so fine for my application
    Should have known.!! . . . Parcel tape and chewing gum. .

Jazz my ex misses is on the prowl in wakefield tonight so bang one of your 16mm ballnuts in for me and tell her the backlash is way toooooo sloppy will ya

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information