. .
    first nc machine i worked on back in the 1970,s my apprentice steve in picture had to be programed in binary code 0 and 1 on punch tape no moniter to edit on any mistake a new tape had to be made
    anyone know these machines

geoff

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0002.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	18538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0004.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	18539

Lives in Poole, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-03-2017 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    Hello Geoff, I saw something very similar when I was in the RAF at RAF Neatishead Norfolk, as a radar engineer in the late 60's. The machine engineering shop was trying to convert a Harrison lathe, and I can remember they used a Creed 7b teleprinter, 5 unit baudot code, the sort of printer you saw on the BBC football results in the late 60's early 70, as the means of holding the lathe program. They got it going after a sort, but the comms blokes kept nicking it when they were short of printers in the comms room. So there was real punch ups between comcen and engineering workshops.....bloody noses on the 5 unit tape, but heyho that is progress.
    By the way, I am on holiday for a week, at the village of Neatishead this week and have visited the RAF meuseum, and there is a pic of the Harison lathe with the teleprinter connected to it.......happy times........and no blood on it........����

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    my apprentice steve in picture had to be programed in binary code
    What? You programmed your apprentices..? Those were the days...

Hehe, great pictures Geoff..!

Wal.

amazing what you could do with apprentices woundnt get away with it now elf & safty?? the machines are moogs built on a bridgeport carcass the punch tape was read by compressed air and processed by electronics the machine was powered and moved by hydrolics ithink moog as company made valves the machines were a byproduct the one in the pic is a manul
    machine we also had vmc 24 tool atc programmable speeds and feeds working on the same princibles right pain in the arse compaired to todays machines
    give me my mac 3 anyday

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    amazing what you could do with apprentices woundnt get away with it now elf & safty??
    Amazing what we apprentices could get away with

Thread Information