. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have just purchased a little cnc router for PCB work.

I have been trying different layout options while I wait for cables and connectors to turn up

There are three options that I can see and wondered if there are any issues with these, like electrical interference, heat concerns/ventilation or anything I may have missed.

Options 1 and 3 involved mounting the BOB onto acrylic and attaching this to the door panel.

The external case dimensions are 400mm x 300mm x 150mm but the removable steal base panel is 350 x 250 which is what I want to keep all the electrics on for ease of removal. All the connetors wil be mounted on the access panel on the side

Option 1 - and preferred option for me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0625.jpg 
Views:	3296 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	17137

Name:	_DSC0626.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	17138

Option 2

Name:	_DSC0623.jpg 
Views:	956 
Size:	271.9 KB 
ID:	17135

Name:	_DSC0624.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	17136

Option 3

Name:	_DSC0627.jpg 
Views:	610 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	17139

Name:	_DSC0628.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	17140

My preference would be to have all parts in the case and not mounted to the door - Is there enough room to mount the powers supply on its side? Might give more room/options?

http://literature.rockwellautomation...m001_-en-p.pdf
    This document makes an interesting read if you want to focus on handling electrical noise in a system (thanks EddyCurrent!)

Jim
    Last edited by cncJim; 07-01-2016 at 03:45 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cncJim For This Useful Post:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did look at mounting the power supply veritally but the lock on the door hits the top of the PSU on one side and on the other there is a bar which sticks proud of the door panel visible in the second picture next to the gounding wire, which also hits the top of the PSU meaning I have to move the PSU more to the centre of the case.
    Besides, being lazy I wanted it flat so I can easily access the screw terinals

Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Bustercnc; 07-01-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Thanks Jim,

I just remeasured and the lip on the door clears the PSU by 1mm.

Looks like your suggestion is the better one and it does give me a lot more space. I origanlly wanted to keep the PSU flat for ease of access to the screw terminal but I can live with it this way, how many times should I need to access these anyway, famous last words.

Name:	_DSC0629.jpg 
Views:	990 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	17142

Cheers
    Dave.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Have you thought about safety relay, estop, fuses etc
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I bought a EMI Panel Mount IEC Filter 10A from cnc4you to plug the power lead into thinking it was fused, just checked and its not.

I have a red panic button and proximity sensors for the estops.

Not sure what you mean by safety relay

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Safety relay, I get it now. I hadn't thought that deepely about it, I assumed the estop and circuit breaker would be good enough.

Hi Dave, looks good. I'm sure the extra space will soon get eaten up with wiring and other goodies like clive mentioned.

I would maybe swap the drives and the bob though and to try and keep the "clean" signal cables away from the "dirty" mains/drive power cables as much as possible?

I think most people would consider safety relays a step too far for smaller machines. They have features monitoring to detect if the contacts have welded shut but many don't worry about it. Really depend on your personal view of safety :)

I picked up a nice one for about £20 on ebay and it also has timed shutdown on one of the contacts which is nice. Can be quite large though and the ones I have seen are all din rail mounted.

Jim

The parts, they produce most heat should be top. On the bottom side your box is open, you should close it with a dustfilter, similiar to the parts used in aquariums. And the heat must can flow out of the box, so you need another hole on the top or upper side of your box.

Like cncJim said the space will soon get eaten up. I was limited at the time by the cabinet size i could have so i had to work with that, although i managed to fit everything i wanted in. Dont forget space for the wire runs ect.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8037-...k-Please/page7

There is a pic of my cab in there, your not putting the vfd in so that will help but it may give you an idea.

Trev

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information