. .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Yeah I did have some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that's me stumped! Been through everything and nothing is loose. I'm starting to wonder if it's in the setting in the servo drives

I cannot comment on the electornics and motor settings.
    The video you posted shows repeatability which is a start. If the lost motion is repeatable it will....repeat. It does not show lost motion. Backlash in the screws or bearings tends to be repeatable and that is why in old milling machines and lathes we only cut in one direction.

You may have already done this but for the benefit of other, what I would do to ensure the screws are not moving is:

1)put the dial indicator on the captive ends of your ballscrews
    2)run the gantry in one direction only for 20mm. This will take up the slack in the opposite direction of travel.
    3)zero the dial indicator
    4) run the gantry in the other direction and see if the dial indicator has jumped. If it does, your screws are not rigidly held in place.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to komatias For This Useful Post:

Ah that's a point I will try that tonorrow

If your dial gauge has enough travel, you can also come back to the gauge position and overshoot a few millimetres, then return to zero from the opposite direction, so to speak. This will show up backlash in the whole system, rotating nuts included.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Hi Derek,

Dont rush to disassemble everything.

That what you see on the dial indicator is the servo correcting after movement and fixing the gantry in position i believe.

If needed mark with lines and marker and check in order both sides :
    -the 6 screws that tighten the ball nut to the rotating part
    -the big bearings on the rotating nut if they have not slipped on the housing
    -if 2 nuts that hold rotating part to nut are not loose

Most possibly this is loose pulley, belt or end support problem. Check carefully all pulleys for slip, check if belts are well under tension/ same tension. Then check end supports if sth un screwed there. If not sure, disassemble motors and cement pulley again.

In fact you should have cemented every single screw on the machine, which i discovered was my big mistake on the first machine i made.

Ahh, and move gantry to one side Check with finger as you are pulling guitar strings if both screws sound with same pitch. If not, tighten all so that is the case. No need to check against tuner. But if you want to go so far, use Linostrobe on the phone. Other will not pick the sound.

PS. And remove that backslash compensation in Mach3. this will additionally mess things up. I have a small machine with backslash and from experience i know its better without it.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 28-02-2016 at 09:40 AM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I think I may have just found the problem.

Ball screw mound seem to move slightly

https://youtu.be/XFrAJuSvGoo

From the brief view in the video it appears that the screw end bracket has no triangulation!

- Nick

This is prime example when I say can't just throw these things together and expect to work perfectly.!!

No disrepect ment here Derek but that end fixing is pathetic and no way can you expect to hold fine tolerences done like that. The inertia of the gantry when cutting will rock those mounts like craddle.

The details are what make better machines and if poorly engineered or rushed into service missing these small details these are the results you can expect when get into finer work like engraving.!!! . . . . . The simple truth Derek is your machine isn't engineered good enough to do it.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 28-02-2016 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    PS. And remove that backslash compensation in Mach3. this will additionally mess things up. I have a small machine with backslash and from experience i know its better without it.
    Agree 100% on BL-comp but look close Boyan and you'll notice it's not Mach3 Looks like Edding Cnc to me.? . . Still needs removing thou.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 28-02-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information