. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I welded this frame for a friend about 6 months ago but he has moved to a new house which doesn't have a garage so he give it back to me. Its made out off 60x60x4 box and the end plates are 10mm plate.He was going to use it to cut hard wood and really that is what i will be using it for but if i could cut aluminium every know and again it would be a bonus.The size of the base is 1000mmx700mm. After reading some other build logs i am not sure if i could get away with using one ball screw or do i need 2? The gantry i hope to build out off aluminium . I haven't bought any parts yet
    Thanks in advance
    Greg
    1000mmx700
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20161204_13_48_37_Pro.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	562.4 KB 
ID:	19803

Name:	cnc mahine1 base only text1.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	19804
    1 ball screw

Name:	cnc mahine1 base and gantry2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	19805
    2 ball screws

Name:	cnc mahine1 base and gantry3.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	19806

I am starting to design the gantry and after reading the other build logs I think i will use Linear hiwin rails HGR20 or should i use HGR15 for the z axis?This is probably a stupid question but what is the difference between a HGH20CA carriage and a HGH20HA and could someone please confirm if the height off the carriage sitting on the rail is 30mm.Do you think I can use one ball screw on the Y axis or should i go with two? All advice much appreciated,
    Cheers Greg

Greg From what I believe HRG15 on the Z is more than strong enough but the problem is that it would make it very tight on space for the ball nut and you would have to cut more out of the plate to accommodate it. There is not much difference in price between the two.

In my opinion at 700mm wide you could get away with one screw depending what you want to cut.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I have 15mm rails on the Z and wouldn't do it again - more like 20mm. Much stiffer and give better spacing to fit all the parts in.

I've always gone with 600mm max width for single ballscrew, above that twin ballscrews. One of my earlier machines was a single ballscrew at around 600mm wide and you could push on one leg of the gantry and move it a mm or 2 without much effort. In practice this was still surprisingly effective even in hardwoods cutting off to one side, but I'm sure it contributed to errors cutting aluminium. So it's close, and Clive is right in that it depends on what you want to cut, but I would say 2 ballscrews at 700mm for robustness personally.

HGH20CA etc usually refer to the carriage style - wide, long etc. so google it to be sure. Some people prefer the wide version for for the X bearings (which the gantry then sits on), where you often want a large area to connect into. Whereas on the Y and Z you need every mm so go for the standard/narrow ones.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the replies, So 20mm rails for the whole off the machine , flange carriages for the X axis and HGH20CA carriages for the Y and Z .Will go with the 2 ball screws even though i only intend to cut hard wood but just incase i ever need to cut aluminium. I have had ago at the gantry, really i just stole Jazzcnc L shape design,Hope he dosen't mind .the front profile is 120mmx60mm and the back profile is 60x60mm the end plates are 20mm plate.
    Cheers Greg

Name:	cnc mahine1 base and gantry 2 ballscrew2.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	19845

Name:	cnc mahine1 base and gantry 2 ballscrew4.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	19846

Name:	cnc mahine1 base and gantry 2 ballscrew5.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	19847

I certainly like the double ball screw idea and placement, what i dont like is the possibility of adjustment and the fact that both end supports are enclosed by the frame. Make sure the ball screw assembly is shorter by 1-3mm than the distance needed and use a plate inbetween, so you could sand the plate and adjust accordingly, or use epoxy putty there, adjust and let it dry.

Just make sure you mount the rails perfectly, that will guide the ball screws and will greatly facilitate the final adjustments
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

I know you shouldn't buy anything until I have the design finished but i have been offered 3 X AM882 drives for £110 would this be a good buy and work well for this machine, With my knowledge off electrics not great i want to keep the electrics as simple as possible .After reading some more build logs am i right in thinking that 1610 ballscrews all round would be ok for this machine with Nema 23 Stepper Motor 3Nm all round or Nema 23 Stepper Motor 4Nm?
    Cheers Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    I know you shouldn't buy anything until I have the design finished but i have been offered 3 X AM882 drives for £110 would this be a good buy and work well for this machine, With my knowledge off electrics not great i want to keep the electrics as simple as possible .After reading some more build logs am i right in thinking that 1610 ballscrews all round would be ok for this machine with Nema 23 Stepper Motor 3Nm all round or Nema 23 Stepper Motor 4Nm?
    Cheers Greg
    Greg If the am882 drives are in good condition then they will be fine . 1610 on X and Y. 1605 on Z nema 23 are good as long as you get them with low inductance the 8 wire version. Zapp or cnc4you have the correct one's
    ..Clive

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the advice
    I have made a start on the design off the z axis which i am not sure if i have worked out the travel right so any advice would be great,I change the profile for the Y axis L shape to 90x45 I think it was in a post by Jazcnc that I was reading that it is handy for fitting the Hiwin rails to. Here are some pics with the measurements
    Cheers Greg

Name:	cnc base and gantry to scale4text.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	20257

Name:	cnc base and gantry to scale4.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	20258

Why have you gone for the square shape on the gantry sides as your previous post you shows it different. It might be better to show the z axis in more detail as you will need a cutout on the back plate and the front plate to accommodate the ball nut.
    ..Clive

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information