. .
    first i working on design to work as router and 3d printer but i have limit in money
    my frame will be alumium 40*80
    so i admire this diy
    i think on using this instead of supported rail
    Is it good !?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alaamomen9 View Post
    first i working on design to work as router and 3d printer but i have limit in money
    my frame will be alumium 40*80
    so i admire this diy
    i think on using this instead of supported rail

Is it good !?
    I don't think that's a very good design for many reasons.
    If you are going to use it for a router, it's a very bad design as any debris(dust, chips,swarf etc.) would cause big problems.
    Also for any use, it will be difficult to make sure your aluminium frame is straight & level.

Have you considered using vee rail?
    They can be made from cheap angle iron using a hand held grinder & simple jig.
    They are pretty tolerant of debris, and they can be aligned and shimmed relatively easily.
    The v-bearings themselves can be hard to find at a reasonable cost though, so look in to that first if you are interested. (try https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...roove+bearings )

The mechmate uses v-rails on all axes and there is a TON of information about them on their forum http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V-Rail2.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	21396

Name:	trilho _02.jpg 
Views:	1640 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	21395

Name:	skate 015_2.jpg 
Views:	864 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	21394
    Last edited by Greeny; 14-04-2017 at 02:24 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Greeny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    I don't think that's a very good design for many reasons.
    If you are going to use it for a router, it's a very bad design as any debris(dust, chips,swarf etc.) would cause big problems.
    Also for any use, it will be difficult to make sure your aluminium frame is straight & level.

Have you considered using vee rail?
    They can be made from cheap angle iron using a hand held grinder & simple jig.
    They are pretty tolerant of debris, and they can be aligned and shimmed relatively easily.
    The v-bearings themselves can be hard to find at a reasonable cost though, so look in to that first if you are interested. (try https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...roove+bearings )

The mechmate uses v-rails on all axes and there is a TON of information about them on their forum http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php

Cheers

Name:	V-Rail2.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	21396

Name:	trilho _02.jpg 
Views:	1640 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	21395

Name:	skate 015_2.jpg 
Views:	864 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	21394
    I think i can't this notch with grinder i will bring angle and put vgroove on it
    is it ok!?

Quote Originally Posted by alaamomen9 View Post
    I think i can't this notch with grinder i will bring angle and put vgroove on it
    is it ok!?
    I have never made any v-rail myself, so i can't offer any advice.
    I only suggested it as a low cost alternative for you to consider.

Your best place for information and advice would be the mechmate forum i linked to.
    There are lots of people there who have experience of making and using v-rails.
    There are literally hundreds of posts about making, aligning, and using v-rail.
    Prepare for a lot of reading ☺

Cheers
    Last edited by Greeny; 14-04-2017 at 05:16 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Greeny For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    If you aren't sure and don't have a good means of determining that any rail is straight then you're guessing and are thus stuffed anyway, likewise level and square are a guess unless you measure them.

Bent rails can be straightened if you have means to measure errors in straightness, level and square can also be adjusted if you have the required metrology.

Vulnerability to contamination is to a large extent a design issue.

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

8. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If you aren't sure and don't have a good means of determining that any rail is straight then you're guessing and are thus stuffed anyway, likewise level and square are a guess unless you measure them.
    There is a tried, tested, simple and cheap way of aligning and levelling v-rail using a tensioned wire along the apex of the rail.
    Methods for this are given in great detail on the mechmate forum i linked to

Bent rails can be straightened if you have means to measure errors in straightness, level and square can also be adjusted if you have the required metrology.
    The op has already stated that the budget is tight, too tight for supported rails, so i was guessing it would also be too tight for the 'required metrology'. Besides, even if the aluminium square tube could be straightened its still a terrible design.

Vulnerability to contamination is to a large extent a design issue.
    - Nick
    Exactly, which is why i suggested looking at an alternate budget design that is proven to have low vunerability to contamination.
    Last edited by Greeny; 15-04-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Thread Information