. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    If you are stuck for a way to add awesomeness to the stuff you are loving making on your CNC machines you might want to have a look at hydrographics. It is a cheap, really easy way to transfer artwork on to 3D objects that would be royal pain to decorate any other way.

You can get DIY kits for $70 if you just want to try it out and rolls of preprinted hydrogrphics film is very reasonably priced on ebay.

atlanta hydro imaging - YouTube

Thanks for sharing. I saw this technique used in American Choppers to put a dollar bill image on a fuel tank. Good to know its in the scope for us to diy.

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    I found a UK supplier but they want £110 for a 1m by 1m kit which is rather extortionate.

mydipkit.co.uk

You can use normal car primer/basecoat/clearcoat and just buy the film & activator off ebay for a lot less. Having just had a look around it seems to work ok with powder aswell.

Powder365.com • View topic - Coating over Hydrographics

Is this for putting Egyptian writing on things ?
    John S -

Lives in Nottingham(ish), United Kingdom. Last Activity: 09-03-2013 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 55. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    I daren't go near anything to do with it. Everything I own (including the dog) would end up DPM camouflaged

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Is this for putting Egyptian writing on things ?
    Depends how porous the aforementioned thing is.

Brilliant to know about, thanks for sharing :)

Any recommendations for UK outfits offering this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenson View Post
    Any recommendations for UK outfits offering this?
    If you google london hydrographics turns out there is a company called londonhydrographics with a website, email address and obligatory youtube video.
    I assume these guys are based in London, they are Polish so almost certainly based in London! I've never used them but if you do get some stuff done don't forget to post us piccies. :)

If you want custom artwork instead of the preprinted designs the only place I know to get blank printable film is these guys in the states.

HydroGraphiX Water Transfer Film | America's only blank water transfer printing film.

Quote Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
    If you google london hydrographics turns out there is a company called londonhydrographics with a website, email address and obligatory youtube video.
    I assume these guys are based in London, they are Polish so almost certainly based in London! I've never used them but if you do get some stuff done don't forget to post us piccies. :)

If you want custom artwork instead of the preprinted designs the only place I know to get blank printable film is these guys in the states.

HydroGraphiX Water Transfer Film | America's only blank water transfer printing film.

Won't last long if your using an inkjet printer on to their film unless you keep whatever you put a graphic on in a draw out of direct sunlight lol. Plus most people would be limited to quite small graphics with A4 size desktop printers.
    It's not new, been about for a few years now but not really caught on in a big way especially over here, bit like the plastidip spray your whole car thing.

You could always take the film to a printers and get them to print your designs for you, modern inkjet pigment has a reasonably good uv resistance and you could always add to that by using a uv resistant clear coat over the top. If you look at any car that has sat outside for ten years the paint will very noticeably faded compared to 'as new' so it's not that big a deal. Never heard of plastidip and had to google it, wtf?! I see why it didn't catch on, most people don't want their pride and joy dressed up in a gimp suit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information