. .
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Looking good, all the stripping of wires will be worth it in the end.
    Looking forward to the first cut video

Quote Originally Posted by audioandy View Post
    all the stripping of wires will be worth it in the end.
    'kin better be! Cheers Andy. Waiting on that slack mate of yours - Jazz. He's had the plans for my ballscrew mounts since April(might be exaggerating here) and every time I ask how they're coming along he always says he's been busy. Yeah busy chasing women haha

Z axis home switch done this evening.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc21.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	6291  

Fired it up for the first time and whilst nothing exploded(good) I did only have it on for about 5 seconds as the stepper motors were making an odd noise. Hard to describe it really but I'll have a go - the noise was a rising pitch kinda like a kettle coming to boil, the volume level of the noise was consistent and didn't increase. Maybe I'm being paranoid and whimped out unnecessarily but didn't fancy damaging the expensive electronics until I'd got the all clear on here.

I didn't have the PC hooked up to the machine but everything else was as you'd expect.

4. Tune the motor with with driver and they will then be silent.
    Also make sure you set the current to the peak value of the phase current of the motors.

Thanks Gary I'll give that a try.

One thing I forgot to mention was the green led was flashing constantly. Does that mean anything to you?

6. That is normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    Thanks Gary I'll give that a try.

One thing I forgot to mention was the green led was flashing constantly. Does that mean anything to you?

Sigh why are things never as simple as they should be.

Had it up and running with mach doing some jogging about and it jerks around like a jack hammer on the Y and Z stalls all the time even with low speed/accel. The software from Leadshine doesn't work for me either and throws up errors then crashes when reading or writing data to the drives.

Why didn't I spend the money on a nice long holiday instead!

Found an updated version of the Leadshine software on their website. Hopefully this fixes the crashes.

9. What errors are you getting?
    the software works very well, and will alow you to get very smooth motion and reduce resonance to a minimum.
    what RS232 cable are you using? and are you going from native RS232 or through a dongle?
    You may be better to just do the Auto tune till you get it running right, then do the mach 3 motor tuning (set accel / de accel up) and so on.
    after this if you want to tune more, then use the software, but in most cases it is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    Sigh why are things never as simple as they should be.

Had it up and running with mach doing some jogging about and it jerks around like a jack hammer on the Y and Z stalls all the time even with low speed/accel. The software from Leadshine doesn't work for me either and throws up errors then crashes when reading or writing data to the drives.

Why didn't I spend the money on a nice long holiday instead!

Hi Gary.

I'm using the leadshine RS232 cable(bought from you) and it plugs into the COM1 on the PC, no dongles or USB converters.

The motor tuning done by the DIP switch 4 doesn't rid the howling noise unfortunately.

I'll give this new version of the software a try. The one I was using seemed to be quite old 2010 vs 2012

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information