. .
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodKnot View Post

Something that A Camera is unaware of, is of course the much needed and much appreciated help that you are providing me.
    No, I was NOT unaware of that at all, but you did not sound sure about wanting Jazz to build it for you. I think that's a good idea.

WoodKnot's Frankenstein CNC - I like that!!

Really Jazz - it'll be alright -

Let it be! - you are making the plates and lets leave it at that - it will be what it will be.

The Z Axis is very short and on the back of the X axis there is another piece of 4020 that is fastened to the back to run the cable track on.

So, lets get the plates on and give it a go - you maybe surprised - it maybe ok?

I did say maybe!

WoodKnot
    Woodknot, I don't think you realize just what a mess this miss-match of parts puts the machine design in or the complications they cause.?

Because the size of the rails and ball-screws were never designed to fit on this frame and profile style then things have to be moved into positions that are not ideal or good.
    For instance, the only way to fit the ball-screws is to now place them outwards of the gantry sides, this then leaves nothing to fasten the BK bearings onto, so we have to extend the endplates so brackets can be made which extend off at 90 degrees for the BK bearings to fasten onto.

This while not being an ideal location having the screws hanging so far off to the side can easily be done in terms of making extended plates, however, the complications are how do we allow for alignment of the screw in both horizontal and vertical alignments and the fastening of the ball-nut mount on the gantry side.? Slots in the end plates and BK plate are the answer to allow adjustment.

However, there's another issue that now the SFU mount is on the outside of the gantry which puts the SFU mounting bolts on the inside of the gantry which cannot be accessed when fastened to the linear bearings. We can't fasten the SFU bearing onto the gantry side before fitting it onto bearings because we need to align it to the ball screw.!

These are just the issues with the Y-axis and I haven't even looked at the X or Z axis but again this mismatch of parts will place similar design complications.

So maybe you can see I'm not talking about trying to design you a completely new machine that is super strong, the struggle is just making things fit together in a fashion that makes assembly possible and doesn't waste my time or yours making plates that don't work or fit.!

I know you think it's simpler than it looks but honestly it's not, however, as you have found it's very easy to F-UP which I don't intend to do.! So please say now if you want me to continue or not because I haven't got time to waste making plates which don't work.!

See pics to get some idea of the issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	30193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	30194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	30195
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 08-07-2021 at 09:32 PM.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Woodknot, I don't think you realize just what a mess this miss-match of parts puts the machine design in or the complications they cause.?

Because the size of the rails and ball-screws were never designed to fit on this frame and profile style then things have to be moved into positions that are not ideal or good.
    For instance, the only way to fit the ball-screws is to now place them outwards of the gantry sides, this then leaves nothing to fasten the BK bearings onto, so we have to extend the endplates so brackets can be made which extend off at 90 degrees for the BK bearings to fasten onto.

This while not being an ideal location having the screws hanging so far off to the side can easily be done in terms of making extended plates, however, the complications are how do we allow for alignment of the screw in both horizontal and vertical alignments and the fastening of the ball-nut mount on the gantry side.? Slots in the end plates and BK plate are the answer to allow adjustment.

However, there's another issue that now the SFU mount is on the outside of the gantry which puts the SFU mounting bolts on the inside of the gantry which cannot be accessed when fastened to the linear bearings. We can't fasten the SFU bearing onto the gantry side before fitting it onto bearings because we need to align it to the ball screw.!

These are just the issues with the Y-axis and I haven't even looked at the X or Z axis but again this mismatch of parts will place similar design complications.

So maybe you can see I'm not talking about trying to design you a completely new machine that is super strong, the struggle is just making things fit together in a fashion that makes assembly possible and doesn't waste my time or yours making plates that don't work or fit.!

I know you think it's simpler than it looks but honestly it's not, however, as you have found it's very easy to F-UP which I don't intend to do.! So please say now if you want me to continue or not because I haven't got time to waste making plates which don't work.!

See pics to get some idea of the issues.

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	30193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	30194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	30195
    Good evening Jazz

OK, so my ballscrews will not fit inside anyway, unless I use a different style of nut?

The ballscrews are too short for the profiles, so overall a complete mess.

Is there an alternative nut and if I got screws that are longer than the profiles, could the bearings be seated in the plates?

Your thoughts please?

Thanks

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Good evening Jazz

OK, so my ballscrews will not fit inside anyway, unless I use a different style of nut?

The ballscrews are too short for the profiles, so overall a complete mess.

Is there an alternative nut and if I got screws that are longer than the profiles, could the bearings be seated in the plates?

Your thoughts please?
    The choices are limited with what you have now because as I say these parts were never designed to fit together as you planned. There is no nut you can use that will fit into the space you have in that C beam profile and the location of the rails/bearings in the position you intended. (see end shot)
    Even moving the rails onto the top and side orientation doesn't help much because of the type of profile.

In my opinion, your only choice is to go with something like I have shown and live with any compromises or start again with a different profile and design.!

Name:	pic4.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	30196

Let me know what your thinking and I will continue with the other axis, because like I say it's not just the Y-axis which will give problems.

Giood morning Jazz

Please don't commit any more time to it please.

I need a bit of time now to consider my options.

Let me know what I owe you for your time please

Thanks

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Giood morning Jazz

Please don't commit any more time to it please.

I need a bit of time now to consider my options.

Let me know what I owe you for your time please

Thanks

WoodKnot
    Hi,

Don't owe me anything and I would be more than happy to continue if you wanted, however, my honest opinion would be to start again with new profiles like 45x90 and re-use the rails and bearings rather than trying to make everything fit those profiles.

Just let me know if you want to proceed further.

Lastly, to make you aware the motors and electrics you have bought are also less than ideal so at some point, if you continue, expect to be upgrading these or if want to do it right from the start sell them and buy decent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Hi,

Don't owe me anything and I would be more than happy to continue if you wanted, however, my honest opinion would be to start again with new profiles like 45x90 and re-use the rails and bearings rather than trying to make everything fit those profiles.

Just let me know if you want to proceed further.

Lastly, to make you aware the motors and electrics you have bought are also less than ideal so at some point, if you continue, expect to be upgrading these or if want to do it right from the start sell them and buy decent stuff.
    Yes, thanks Jazz

Big decision time now - not sure at the moment which way to go................

As in, try to sell what does not work (most of it) and start from scratch, but be prepared to probably lose at least 30%

Or ditch the whole project and start again at some other point in time?

The plates that you have come up with are great, but agree that they 'don't look right' due to my mismatch of purchases.

Such is life

WoodKnot
    Carpe Diem

Good evening Jazz

Posted and deleted, stupid idea!

WoodKnot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210712_175246_compress9.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	410.7 KB 
ID:	30235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210712_175256_compress35.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	553.8 KB 
ID:	30236  
    Last edited by WoodKnot; 12-07-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    Carpe Diem

Ok, let's start again, bad idea?

Name:	JPEG_20210712_210028_resize_85.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	30239

Name:	20210712_185928_compress70.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	530.2 KB 
ID:	30240

So, by using 3 of the 2040 profiles to create the required space?

WoodKnot
    Last edited by WoodKnot; 12-07-2021 at 10:24 PM.
    Carpe Diem

Ok, let's start again, bad idea?
    Attachment 30237
    Attachment 30238
    So, by using 3 of the 2040 profiles to create the required space?

WoodKnot
    Can't see them.?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread Information