. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChunk View Post
    Maybe the extension put a larger bending moment through the router spindle, effectively trying to twist the inner race out of the bearings and they overheated? Seems plausible if the motor is running ok but the spindle is out of whack.
    I don't think Jonathan can complain considering how much he paid for the router as it was never intended to be used as aggressively.

Increasing the effective length of the cutter will exert more bending action on the spindle, which now seems to be bent. This is in an even more dangerous condition and the end could just fly off with serious consequences.

Jonathan regards to your original question i would stick with 1.5Kw as your machine has some flex issues which you yourself have mentioned, going for an even more powerful motor will allow you to think you can push it further than it wants to go.

A machine is only as strong as its weakest link.

That price you found does seem to be too good to be true btw.

Regarding cutter length Trend do indeed make 8mm shank cutters in the length of 60mm + square ended but even Carbide cutters are mounted on HSS shanks.

HSS cannot bend, only break that is what makes them a safer bet than an extension made from anything other than HSS which Trend will not make that type of extension as it would be dangerous.

It may be good to see if trend have some videos of when it all goes wrong.

The British team going for a new LSR of 1000MPH the wheels will be going around 10000 RPM they have to to be made of exotic metals as they are likely to explode, centrifugal force is an extremely potent force indeed.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    I don't think Jonathan can complain considering how much he paid for the router as it was never intended to be used as aggressively.
    Yes exactly, it was only £8 or so from the car boot sale so it's not a big loss. I would have liked it to last a bit longer though as now the router might be out of action for a while whilst I save up/sell a few bits for the proper spindle. Maybe I can get a loan from the Bank of Mum :lol:. I just wish my chuck for the brushless motor had arrived - it's been ages.

Increasing the effective length of the cutter will exert more bending action on the spindle, which now seems to be bent. This is in an even more dangerous condition and the end could just fly off with serious consequences.
    I'll check that with the indicator today.

Jonathan regards to your original question i would stick with 1.5Kw as your machine has some flex issues which you yourself have mentioned, going for an even more powerful motor will allow you to think you can push it further than it wants to go.
    Ok, I will do. It's still twice the power of my milling machine and I've never run out on that. As you say the router is not as rigid as the milling machine, so I can't see it being able to use more power. I may well lower the gantry to help with the rigidity issues.

HSS cannot bend, only break that is what makes them a safer bet than an extension made from anything other than HSS which Trend will not make that type of extension as it would be dangerous.
    I'm trying to machine a block of MDF thats 3 sheets of 18mm glued together. I need to cut to about 50mm deep...maybe I'll have to do it one sheet at a time then glue them together.

im all for the saftey :) however in my opinion every good engineer exercises a bit of art to get the job done
    if we didnt push the limits and test the boundries we would still as a race be swinging through the trees eating bannanas

id go for the home made extension... however, at router speeds id keep my distance and one finger on the e-stop :)

I checked my router with dial indicator. It's now holding the cutter at an angle such that there's more runout the further you get from the chuck. I'm not going to try running it like that - clearly not safe.

Ok, I will do. It's still twice the power of my milling machine and I've never run out on that. As you say the router is not as rigid as the milling machine, so I can't see it being able to use more power. I may well lower the gantry to help with the rigidity issues.
    I've just looked it up and found that the ER11 collet chuck will only hold up to 7mm diameter. That's not good enough for reasons detailed in the last few posts! I'll have to get the 2.2Kw spindle as it has ER20, so up to 13mm. I can't accept only 7mm since to make wind turbine blades, the main reason I made this router, I will need cutters protruding perhaps 4" from the spindle - unless I use A axis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm trying to machine a block of MDF thats 3 sheets of 18mm glued together. I need to cut to about 50mm deep...maybe I'll have to do it one sheet at a time then glue them together.
    You can get bits designed for slot mortising - see the second cutter down at http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/45500.html or http://www.machines4wood.com/mall/pr...sargeant/CM103

I've used them on a manual machine to cut beech and they worked well but you need a light final finishing cut due to the flex.

On the other hand, one of the big advantages of CNC is that you can stand well away from the scene of the accident

Problem with standing well away means I'm too far away from the stop button!

Those cutters look useful, but still a compromise. I'm cutting 50mm deep to clear the material around a mould.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Problem with standing well away means I'm too far away from the stop button!

Those cutters look useful, but still a compromise. I'm cutting 50mm deep to clear the material around a mould.
    A secondary emergency stop button?

Maybe a dead mans handle style one so all you've got to do is drop it as you run away :-)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    im all for the saftey :) however in my opinion every good engineer exercises a bit of art to get the job done
    if we didnt push the limits and test the boundries we would still as a race be swinging through the trees eating bannanas

id go for the home made extension... however, at router speeds id keep my distance and one finger on the e-stop :)
    Not much to pay for safety http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/produc...mm_collet.html

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    A secondary emergency stop button?

Maybe a dead mans handle style one so all you've got to do is drop it as you run away :-)
    Good idea.

Jonathan on a machine your size you just need an EStop on every corner. Hitting the button should cut power to everything except the PC and you should not rely on the PC to do this it should be hardware based.

Phil

Good idea.

Jonathan on a machine your size you just need an EStop on every corner. Hitting the button should cut power to everything except the PC and you should not rely on the PC to do this it should be hardware based.

Phil
    That collet extension is similar to what I made, except I held the cutter in with 2 grubscrews to keep the diameter down...the whole idea was to extend the cutter without the extension colliding with the material above.

Yes I'll sort out the Estop buttons soon. Two should be enough considering where I'll be standing...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information