. .
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gabi68 View Post
    How should I connect the button, please?
    Use my simple diagram above. The only thing you have to be careful of is polarity. The relay you selected has a built in diode, so the coil has a + and a - terminal. You connect - to your 12VDC - and switch to the plus terminal (this is the most common way of switching). When you push the button the relay should release or pull, depending on how you wired (NO or NC). I didn't look at your fancy button, so I have no idea if it is a single pole, or dual pole switch, or if it has both NO and NC contacts or not.

To be honest, I agree with the previous poster that you seem to be in a need of elementary electrical knowledge, because your questions regarding the relay and how to wire are really very basic. Try to read some basic information sheets because you will need it. You will also need a simple DMM and some basic electrical measurement knowledge. That is a minimum when you start wiring things. Whatever you do, DON'T TOUCH THE MAINS SIDE. Making mistakes on the low voltage DC side might burn some parts and generate some blue smoke, but making mistakes on the mains side might kill you. I don't think you have the knowledge to touch the mains side. I am not saying this to sound rude, but I think if you plan on doing any electrical modifications then your knowledge level must be increased to at least basic level of understanding electrical circuits and switching. You will need that knowledge constantly if you intend to make changes or trying to find and fix faults.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I was going to do this in F360 to test the schematic section, but the default component choice is limited, so here's a quick doodle -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WiringDoodle.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	30723

I've marked the resistor, but I'm assuming as the switch is listed as 12V, it already has an internal resistor for the LED part, so it shouldn't be needed, but without seeing the datasheet, I'd add it just in case.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    One bit of information that's not clear, is what kind of step/dir output is your alternative source outputting?

Hi,

I know very little about electronics. I am a software programmer with a many skipped electronic courses. I always was like this, when I don't know something start asking many and stupid questions and also start reading. I will always try to stay away from mains.
    After reading and try to educate myself I understand now you connect the switch on the hot side (+) of the relay. I also read about how to connect my "fancy" button. Long story short I came up with this crude diagram. Have a look and tell me if this will work, please.

Many thanks
    Gabi
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	30724

That looks fine for the switch/relay side wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    That looks fine for the switch/relay side wiring.
    On the relay side I will have Pul-, Pul+, Dir- and Dir+ from the stepper drive on the NO and Pul-, Pul+, Dir- and Dir on the NC for the measuring device. The only thing which is not very clear is if I need to supply 24V from the stepper drive to the measuring device or that needs to be wired separately from the power supply (the same one which supply the stepper driver). Please have a look and comment.

Ok what you need to do is the following.

Approach whoever it was that gave you this task and explain to them that you are way over your head. Also that you have attempted to obtain some advice your lack of knowledge does not put you in position to assess the advice.

Now there is no shame in this. One of the controllers mentioned is worth a couple of grand. I do not want you to be responsible for messing things up if you make a mistake. We all do.

The best and safest solution is to get an electrician in, this is not electronics any capable electrician will be able to perform the wiring. Yes it may cost some currency, but is the wisest way to progress. I fear the actual wiring of the relay contacts to the various signal sources may prove to be overwhelming for yourself.

So it’s time to fess up, be honest and get some actual on site help. Sometimes that is just the way it is.

I honestly think this is the wrong project for you to begin on. Others may disagree and you are quite welcome to disregard my advice.

All in all I wish you the best of luck. Last of all if you do this yourself work slowly and check for correct operation as you go. It is easier to deal with one mistake at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleBrainz View Post

Approach whoever it was that gave you this task and explain to them that you are way over your head. Also that you have attempted to obtain some advice your lack of knowledge does not put you in position to assess the advice.

Now there is no shame in this. One of the controllers mentioned is worth a couple of grand. I do not want you to be responsible for messing things up if you make a mistake. We all do.

The best and safest solution is to get an electrician in, this is not electronics any capable electrician will be able to perform the wiring. Yes it may cost some currency, but is the wisest way to progress. I fear the actual wiring of the relay contacts to the various signal sources may prove to be overwhelming for yourself.

So it’s time to fess up, be honest and get some actual on site help. Sometimes that is just the way it is.

I honestly think this is the wrong project for you to begin on. Others may disagree and you are quite welcome to disregard my advice.

All in all I wish you the best of luck. Last of all if you do this yourself work slowly and check for correct operation as you go. It is easier to deal with one mistake at a time.
    This a personal project (it is my fiber laser) and I will do this by myself. I will put some led's with the appropriate resistor (for load) and try the circuit before commit and install everything on the laser. Nothing on the last question...

Thank you for your advices so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleBrainz View Post

Exactly. ...and if I knew about his ignorant attitude I wouldn't have wasted my time on him. Being proud about skipping classes is the ultimate proof of stupidity. I'd be ashamed of asking to be spoon fed if I had the chance of learning and gaining knowledge and had the mental ability to read and understand. It's a different thing compared to someone who has learning disabilities but fights and tries to understand things.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Exactly. ...and if I knew about his ignorant attitude I wouldn't have wasted my time on him. Being proud about skipping classes is the ultimate proof of stupidity. I'd be ashamed of asking to be spoon fed if I had the chance of learning and gaining knowledge and had the mental ability to read and understand. It's a different thing compared to someone who has learning disabilities but fights and tries to understand things.
    You don't know nothing about me. Writing this kind of messages only prove your stupidity and this came with the normal package of arrogance. I skipped courses because I need to work to support myself in Uni. Asking questions is normal. Receiving this kind of responses is NOT. I was thinking the reason of this forums is to help and learn from each other. I was wrong. People like you makes this forums bad. Big muscle and mouth over internet are not good. If you have something constructive to say, say it, otherwise shut up.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information