. .

Thread: Worn leadscrew?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. With htd5 belt, 1:2 ratio.

Clearly something in the system is non-linear. Have you measured that the pitch of your ballscrew is constant along it's length?

Have you measured that DRO error in both directions? What's the Backlash?

Otherwise I don't know how it could be anything but a broken encoder or some screwy software based correction.

3. I will check if the pitch is constant.

On previous post i posted picture where i engraved ruler in both directions, no visible deviations, backlash is minimal, around 0.03mm.

4. I switched the motors, same error. I switched the drives, same error. Looks like mechanical error, worn leadscrew/nut i guess. I highly doubt mach3 would have a bug?

5. So, i have replaced ballscrew with new one, reinstalled the mach3 and the error is still there. I have no more ideas what could be wrong. Could be CSMIO IP-S motion controller faulty?

6. so i finally found the issue. One of the gantry linear rail was worn out causing z axis to swing left and right on the bottom at endmill.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1 View Post
    so i finally found the issue. One of the gantry linear rail was worn out causing z axis to swing left and right on the bottom at endmill.
    Well, that's a first to me, I've never seen linear rail wear out and cause such an issue. I'll put that one in the data bank to watch out for.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well, that's a first to me
    If true, could this be indicative of some other underlying problem than "wear and tear"?, misaligned rails?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    If true, could this be indicative of some other underlying problem than "wear and tear"?, misaligned rails?
    Absolutely and very probably is due exactly to that reason. Or they are really cheap nasty rails and poorly aligned.? I've never had a rail wear out to that degree and I've probably got 100+ machines out in the field using them and many of them used 12hr 6Dwk with minimal maintenance with several over 10yr old so if quality rails like Hi-win then I'd definitely be looking for some other issue causing this.

10. i am using 15mm tbi motion linear rails on the gantry. I have changed my setup 6 months ago, moved leadscrew too high above the linear rails. I am always pushing my machine to the limits of the spindle (3000mm/min, 2mm wall, 15mm deep, 10mm endmill). I think this was the cause to wear them. I didnt have any issue before the change.

I am changing gantry rails now with 25mm, and putting leadscrew between the linear rails. Considering buying 6.6kw hsk63 spindle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information