. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.ji View Post
    I do mineral casting Attachment 7655
    Thats great so how about some info on how you do it.?

Lives in Birmingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 05-01-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 326. Received thanks 30 times, giving thanks to others 24 times.
    I do mineral casting Attachment 7655
    That is a nice looking machine, if you don't mind sharing what mix do you use and how do muppets like me go about doing this?

the machine base is for engraving machine

In terms of recipe and process, it's not easy to say in short words

That's ok I understand long words ;-)

Would be interesting to know what mix and process you used. You can't just post a nice pic of a machine like that and leave us dangling :-)
    Neil...

Build log...here

We like reading good long novels so please crack on because we are all keen to learn.!!

6. That is a nice looking machine there. The type of mineral base and how you go about it would be of interest to a good number of us for many different reasons (not just machine building). IF it is part of your day job I could see a bit of reluctance to part with the information. If it is not in that type of area please do tell and as far as long words and thick reading, have you ever looked at a TM or FM for a vehicle from the US military (6 pages on how to check and change oil and that is not including any special models of the vehicle).

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    That is a nice looking machine there. The type of mineral base and how you go about it would be of interest to a good number of us for many different reasons (not just machine building). IF it is part of your day job I could see a bit of reluctance to part with the information. If it is not in that type of area please do tell and as far as long words and thick reading, have you ever looked at a TM or FM for a vehicle from the US military (6 pages on how to check and change oil and that is not including any special models of the vehicle).

Michael
    Or indeed ever had the pleasure of having to read through up to 40 different specifications anywhere up to 400 pages long each cross referencing other specifications. I'm an internal sales applications engineer and have to read these type of specs for API614 oil systems for offshore platforms, FPSO's etc...a bit of wading through mineral/epoxy tech info will be fun in comparison :)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Give the guy a break, he's only trying to make a living selling his machines lol

Hi All

This is my first post at MYCNCUK

This is an old thread but I hope the information helps, I have made a machine using Epoxy. It has a cast base and also two cast carriage ends. And these have a low friction cast in bearing surface on round shaft.

The machine is loosely based on the Worden grinder, however no sheet metal is used. It is very solid I can just lift it. There is very
    little vibration.

As far as the epoxy mix is concerned I just used fine screened quartz gravel from a garden supply and washed sand. And Yes I used a little steel reinforcement. It is not hard to do and you do not have to use advanced calculus and have a chemistry degree to get a good result. Most resin suppliers are familiar with casting with epoxy aggregates.

I apologise for just posting a link here but I did the write up about two years ago here: New technology in Model Engineers Workshop | Model Engineer

It is a fairly lengthy post. there are many photos.

The machine has been in constant use ever since, I use it to grind lathe tools, the finish is almost mirror with a diamond wheel. No chatter.

Since then I made a CNC router with a mate for a community project A "Mens Shed" Located at Bright Central Victoria Australia.
    Most of it is laser cut 5mm steel.

If anyone is interested it can be found here:
    Laser Cut Frame CNC Router New build

Next up is a new router for me this time. I will post directly when I start it. It will also be based on laser cut parts.

Regards
    John

10. The Following User Says Thank You to John McNamara For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John McNamara View Post
    Hi All

This is my first post at MYCNCUK
    Thanks John and Glad you did. . . I will probably be in touch picking your experience has I've got some ideas to use epoxy granite but not just yet. It will be quite a bit larger than your Worden thou.!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information