. .
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Ither a FK or FKA depending on what model mount hes go!

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I read it as the shaft has moved through the bearing block, which in turn has pulled the lovejoy into contact with the housing...

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I read it as the shaft has moved through the bearing block, which in turn has pulled the lovejoy into contact with the housing...
    Ye but what shaft.? Motor shaft.? or Screw shaft.? Either way neither should be floating.? . . .something seems strange.!

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    This pic from earlier in the thread reveals all.
    Attachment 4012

The motor coupling would have enough movement in it to allow the pulley shaft to hit the mount without losing drive.

The shaft that connects the motor to the x axis pulley is the one which has managed to move through the bearings so that the coupling was rubbing against the motor mount.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	4717
    A picture of the complete motor mount. I didnt think that the shaft would travel through the bearings so I didnt fit any locking collars. I will make them and fit them on the motor side of the last BK mount before the pulley. This will stop any further movement.
    I suspect this has been caused by the pull on the shaft from the tension on the pulley belt but this is a guess. Seeing as I had to hammer the shaft through the bearings I really didnt think it would move.

Ian

m_c,
    thanks, I really need to learn to type with more than two fingers.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Seeing as I had to hammer the shaft through the bearings I really didnt think it would move.
    I feel sorry for those bearings. Hopefully you just hammered on the inner ring. Often heating up the bearing first does the trick if it's that close.

thanks, I really need to learn to type with more than two fingers.
    Then learn with this, you won't regret it. I have been using this layout for about 5 years now:

http://www.dvzine.org/

Jonathan,
    I dont like heating up bearings. I just normally put the shaft in the freezer for a while and yes I used a tube the same diameter as the bearing inner to hammer the shaft in. With a nylon hammer I might add.

Ian

The shaft that connects the motor to the x axis pulley is the one which has managed to move through the bearings so that the coupling was rubbing against the motor mount.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	298.4 KB 
ID:	4717
    A picture of the complete motor mount. I didnt think that the shaft would travel through the bearings so I didnt fit any locking collars. I will make them and fit them on the motor side of the last BK mount before the pulley. This will stop any further movement.
    I suspect this has been caused by the pull on the shaft from the tension on the pulley belt but this is a guess. Seeing as I had to hammer the shaft through the bearings I really didnt think it would move.

Ian
    Argh I see now but I would call this the Y axis and the earlier post said X axis thats what's thrown me.!!

Jonathan,
    I dont like heating up bearings. I just normally put the shaft in the freezer for a while and yes I used a tube the same diameter as the bearing inner to hammer the shaft in. With a nylon hammer I might add.

Ian

You don't have to heat bearings up that much. 100degC is more than enough for installation, and it won't do any damage to the bearing or whatever grease is inside it.
    Often sitting them on top of a hot radiator for an hour or so is enough to give that bit vital clearance for easy installation.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information