. .

Thread: Mach3 vs Mach4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I think that Linux's main downfall is the sheer number of versions. Because it's open source, anyone can develop an O.S. and although it has been beneficial long term (i.e. many hands make light work), it has resulted in a bottomless pit of choices. The Linux Mint project has done a lot to address this issue (and done it very well), but newbies may not discover it and give up because they tried some other flavour of Linux. It's a shame really.

I'm not massively into LinuxCNC yet but understand there are loads of custom screens available. How easy they are to install and/or use is something I've not investigated yet...

End of the day it shoudn't be about the OS and that's not the case for me.! . . . Like I say couldn't careless if it run Wonker vision.
    My machines only run MS OS because thats whats needed to run Mach3 and they don't have anything else what so ever installed.

All folks want is a controller that is easy to install, setup and ultimately easy enough to use. They can't or don't want to mess about with OS issues or learning some coding skills to make it work like they would like. They want sympathetic help when they are challenged not made to feel like idiots because they can't do the lingo.!! . . . . Like John this has been my experience and feed back form others with the EMC or linux CNC crew in the past.

They both work Well just Mach suits newer users and experienced users alike better IMO.

I mentioned before about the screens and was taken to task by an experienced Linux user who told me it was quite simple and sent me three pages of code to alter the screen but no instructions on what to do with the code or where to put it.

OK to him that was simple but I don't even have to write G Code in this day and age.

It would be nice to just get a system that loaded up and ran but why cannot they do this after all these years ?

As regards CV, a friend of mine who is a programmer, looks after windows and linux systems has this on his machines as well as Mach.

He's done tests and filmed then using same file, same machine, same code, same everything and M3 outperforms LinuxCNC on his router, you can see it slowing for corners.

However on his lathe LinuxCNC beats M3 hands down, especially as M3 is useless at threading with the one slot encoder.
    John S -

Generally those who like to tinker will opt for at least a try of Linuxcnc, it suits some and not others which is great for all. There is nothing wrong with M3/4 nor Linuxcnc. It's all about what suits you thats all that counts. One thing that you can not avoid is that 67M linux users means it can not be all that bad

LiCo - The New LinuxCounter Project - Get counted as a linux user
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Obviously the OS is more important than the software. If the OS is unstable or unreliable, then we can't expect any software to be stable. But yes, at the end of the day all we need is a CNC controller. I guess that industrial machines use dedicated hardware and software, whereas Mach, LinuxCNC, etc attempt to bring CNC control to the layman with a spare PC in his shed. Every setup will have pros and cons and some end users are more technophobic than others. That's just the way life is.
    Last edited by birchy; 18-08-2013 at 05:34 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to birchy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swarfing View Post
    Generally those who like to tinker will opt for at least a try of Linuxcnc, it suits some and not others which is great for all. There is nothing wrong with M3/4 nor Linuxcnc. It's all about what suits you thats all that counts. One thing that you can not avoid is that 67M linux users means it can not be all that bad

LiCo - The New LinuxCounter Project - Get counted as a linux user

This is my point has that's mostly irrelevant because end of the day were not or shouldn't be talking about the OS it's only the CNC portion we are interested with here.!!

Both work good, Linux is harder to get working for new users and Mach with better support IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Linux is harder to get working for new users
    IMHO, that's debatable. The bonus of Linux is that you can boot from the CD/DVD as a "live" environment and try it without installing anything. You'll generally have an answer in less than 30 minutes. Conversely, you HAVE to install Windows and Mach (or whatever software) just to see if it's any good. And by then, you've spent so many hours (and cash) on it that you're already committed to making it work.

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    And by then, you've spent so many hours (and cash) on it that you're already committed to making it work.
    Commitment is not a bad thing it drives you to learn.!! . . . . Has to the rest then we'll have to agree to disagree but I will say when I tried the Bootable CD it didn't work for me.
    Also the installation of the software is not the only hurdle or where new users fall down it's the getting the motors and others I/O to work that stumps them.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Commitment is not a bad thing it drives you to learn.!!
    Even more reason to install LinuxCNC then. And it won't cost anything but time.

Quote Originally Posted by birchy View Post
    Even more reason to install LinuxCNC then. And it won't cost anything but time.
    But time here in Europe is money one way or another. We are not in Asia.

Everyday when you are tinkering around and not machining something, even for pleasure= Lost money

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information