. .
    hi guys,

I wonder what you think of this type of levelling wheels, the larger sizes.

I think they are quite neat as an off-the-peg solution if you only want to move your machine very occasionally and then drop it down (or should I say, lift it up) to rest on the rubber feet and level it in the chosen location.

My only misgiving is if the rubber feet (which they classify as anti-vibration) may be too soft or wobbly? They are probably OK as they are designed for heavy machinery.

https://www.castors-online.co.uk/aca...Vibration.html
    Last edited by Edward; 31-12-2017 at 02:16 PM.

They look pretty solid!
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

You peaked my interest.

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/collectio...nt=32001335498

Similar, but a little cheaper (for a set of 4).

My own experience of using (non-castor) levelling rubber feet on a myford ML7 on an original stand (which makes it somewhat top-heavy) is that you can get a bit of swing going with too soft a foot. If these are a solid nylon foot, and onto a flat surface then this is likely to be alleviated somewhat.

... which has got me thinking of replacing the feet on the lathe - the area behind it into the corner has become a bit of a store and being able to move the lathe has some appeal.

Doddy,

Thanks. Your link has a chart but it's confusing in that the product only refers to the first item No in the chart, without listing specs for different sizes...

Yes, I would prefer solid nylon feet but I think that if one chooses a set rated for bigger loads than needed, the rubber should be quite stiff when used on lighter loads, thus minimising the wobbles, at least that's my logic...
    Last edited by Edward; 31-12-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Doddy,

Thanks. Your link has a chart but it's confusing in that the product only refers to the first item No in the chart, without listing specs for different sizes...

Yes, I would prefer solid nylon feet but I think that if one chooses a set rated for bigger loads than needed, the rubber should be quite stiff when used on lighter loads, thus minimising the wobbles, at least that's my logic...

Look at the moulding - these are the same Footmaster brand (same range?), and you can de-reference the chart for the different height ranges, to some extent.

Actually, look at the OP's original link - the sizes are the same for each (with F = flat plate and S = screw (bolt) fit)
    Last edited by Doddy; 31-12-2017 at 06:16 PM.

I normally chuck M16 leveling feet sometimes rubber sometimes nylon in the skip at work. This is tragic because the prices are criminal tried to sell them on ebay made £1 on a set so I now chuckthem in the the bin lol.

I have none to hand right now but there's a machine being scrapped next 4 weeks with 36 feet on.

You're welcome to 6 of them you pay the postage <£5, machine weighs 15 tonne's plus so sure they're strong enough lol. I'm keeping 12 of them to make adjustable clamps to work support. The rest are up for grabs but they day I strip the machine is the day they go in the bin if not taken.

I also have an almost infinite supply of heavy duty trolley wheels chunkier than supermarket wheels.

I'll have sets of chunky legs made of steel (Fit the feet) as well but if people want them you'd have to pay as I can't make that disappear lol can get photo's of the legs as I got a set for my machine that I never used.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 31-12-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Thank you, I'm sure someone will take you up on your offer, it's a shame to throw away perfectly good items, there is a limit when you seriously have to stop hoarding:)

I like the castors with built-in levelling feet because it will make it easy to move the machine gently somewhere else, maybe for maintenance and easy access, or maybe to create more space for other things when not in use, who knows! The beauty is that you can then settle it down and have a proper stable table, which should be sturdier than swivelling castors.

can you get away with not having to bolt the machine to the floor with these?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I like the castors with built-in levelling feet because it will make it easy to move the machine gently somewhere else, maybe for maintenance and easy access, or maybe to create more space for other things when not in use, who knows! The beauty is that you can then settle it down and have a proper stable table, which should be sturdier than swivelling castors.
    If you're in still in the market in the next couple of days, I *should* have a set of the third largest (No. 3 of 4) of the Aim Tools link earlier, I can offer a personal view pre/post fit onto the lathe, together with pics and/or video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	23578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	23577  
    Last edited by Doddy; 10-01-2018 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Removed edited text for a new post, to give notifications to those reading this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    If you're in still in the market in the next couple of days, I *should* have a set of the third largest (No. 3 of 4) of the Aim Tools link earlier, I can offer a personal view pre/post fit onto the lathe, together with pics and/or video.
    Edit: and here they are:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	23577

Keys shown for scale. I was worried with the purpose of the Phillips screws near the castors - these just stop the heavy axle dropping out of the foot - not at all load bearing. Nylon foot is solid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	23578

Quite chunky on the Myford - but solid. I did a quick level just to see how stable they are and they are leaps-and-bounds better than the feet that they replaced. A proper level can wait until it's warmer. The castors are solid and I would now consider the installation portable.

I just wish I'd painted them battleship grey before installing!

Thread Information