. .
Page 73 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
    Looks good but pretty certain you wouldn't catch my fingers in the slot with the tool that close while in cycle!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRam View Post
    Looks good but pretty certain you wouldn't catch my fingers in the slot with the tool that close while in cycle!
    Yes not a practice I'd recommend....in my defence I've run the simulation 20+ times so knew it wasn't going to rapid on me anytime soon....however I'll agree, no excuse
    Neil...

Build log...here

Good stuff Neil.

Was that a Fusion 360 part or i-machining?

One method I've used to avoid faffing about with zeroing off of a part like that is to cut a holding fixture in the bed and then use the same zero to then run a contour pass(es) to clean up the part.

Of course you know Jazz is going to turn up soon and goad you into cutting deeper and faster ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Good stuff Neil.

Was that a Fusion 360 part or i-machining?

One method I've used to avoid faffing about with zeroing off of a part like that is to cut a holding fixture in the bed and then use the same zero to then run a contour pass(es) to clean up the part.

Of course you know Jazz is going to turn up soon and goad you into cutting deeper and faster ;)
    Cheers Chris, it was Trochoidal machining in Estlcam. I've not really messed with fusion 360...downloaded it and installed it but I use Geomagic at work so until I get more proficient at that I'll not confuse myself by using two 3D programs....

I'm going to give the bed another surface soon and at some point I'll put the 1" thick bakerlite sheet on and use that as my surface and tap holes into it for holding down workpieces but use sacrificial wood as necessary...

I'll not need much egging on by Dean...I started at the speed and feed that was recommended for the cutter...onwards and upwards!

Chris, what tape do you use to hold stuff down?
    Last edited by njhussey; 04-05-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Just finished the Mk2 mount....could have been a Mk3 but this will do! Did put some engraving in the middle but got the depth wrong and it snapped the engraving bit Still I forgot the hole in the middle for the shaft to go through (manually drilled) so that would have gone through the engraving anyway....Pressed the tubes into the plate on our hydraulic press and at 2.5 tonnes pressure I don't think I need to use the Durafix to weld them in...might do it anyway but I'll see. The bolts are pulling the tubes into the plate so they're not going anywhere, just the torque twisting them. Might get a big block of Ali and mill it out of 1 block though I'll probably not bother if this works...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Motor_Mount_1.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	382.4 KB 
ID:	18396

Name:	Motor_Mount_2.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	18397

Name:	Motor_Mount_3.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	346.4 KB 
ID:	18398

Name:	Motor_Mount_4.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	355.0 KB 
ID:	18399
    Last edited by njhussey; 05-05-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Guessing it's for a belt arrangement for something?

Bet your loving having a cnc up and running you can make stuff on, I can't wait :).

.Me
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Guessing it's for a belt arrangement for something?

Bet your loving having a cnc up and running you can make stuff on, I can't wait :).

.Me
    No it's simply a spacer to hold the motor off the firewall so the propeller sticks out the nose the correct amount...

Yeah I'm loving it, just starting to be more adventurous get it finished Lee it's great fun...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    No it's simply a spacer to hold the motor off the firewall so the propeller sticks out the nose the correct amount...

Yeah I'm loving it, just starting to be more adventurous get it finished Lee it's great fun...
    Ahh right it's for a plane!

:) I will it's just a waiting game really, mechanically all I need for it now is two gantry side plates, two bearing plates and 3 motors, Dean is lined up ready to make the plates for me but I can't commit just yet as money is tite but I'm working on it :).

In the mean time I've been getting a few bits together for the enclosure, I'm actually ready to go with that side of things but again with out motors to connect it all too there's no rush so to speak.

I've just had my second injection for this new biological medicine they've put me on, I had my first one last week and the next morning I could feel the difference instantly when I tried to first stand up, normally I'm on steroids and painkillers during the day and the roids have been a great help in getting me some what mobile again but when I first wake up obviously those have all worn off through the night so I normally have to give my legs a min or two too adjust then go for it but as soon as I put weight on my feet (mainly the ball of my ankles) it's painfull, it's quite funny really because obviously as a man the first thing I need to do when I open my eyes is drain the bishop! But I can't because it's a painfull struggle getting to the bog lmao, it's been close lmao quite a few times as I've been bursting and needing to go asap lol

But as I say the future is brite and the morning after I stood up and to my amazement there was nothing there pain wise and since I've had no pain at all I really can't believe it, the doc said it would be 3 months before I would notice it starting to work, I'm not complaining!

Today I've been for a walk into town to get my hair cut, drop some packages off (switches for the lads) and get the girls a McDonald's for their dinner (brownie points) and I've made it back as happy as Larry because it was easy (normal).

Sorry I'm waffling on your build log but I'm just feeling so positive at the moment and i really cant wait but i really dont care either, what's more important in life as basic as they maybe is what I'm chasing at the moment :D.

Positive: Don't worry, my day will come and CNC better be ready for me 😎

Lee
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 05-05-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    .Me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post

Chris, what tape do you use to hold stuff down?
    Hi Neil,

Sorry - missed the question at the bottom - I use this tape:

Silverline 198134 Fixman Double-Sided Tape, 50 mm x 33 m from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F80K5OS

Cheers

Chris

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Washout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Ahh right it's for a plane!

:) I will it's just a waiting game really, mechanically all I need for it now is two gantry side plates, two bearing plates and 3 motors, Dean is lined up ready to make the plates for me but I can't commit just yet as money is tite but I'm working on it :).

In the mean time I've been getting a few bits together for the enclosure, I'm actually ready to go with that side of things but again with out motors to connect it all too there's no rush so to speak.

I've just had my second injection for this new biological medicine they've put me on, I had my first one last week and the next morning I could feel the difference instantly when I tried to first stand up, normally I'm on steroids and painkillers during the day and the roids have been a great help in getting me some what mobile again but when I first wake up obviously those have all worn off through the night so I normally have to give my legs a min or two too adjust then go for it but as soon as I put weight on my feet (mainly the ball of my ankles) it's painfull, it's quite funny really because obviously as a man the first thing I need to do when I open my eyes is drain the bishop! But I can't because it's a painfull struggle getting to the bog lmao, it's been close lmao quite a few times as I've been bursting and needing to go asap lol

But as I say the future is brite and the morning after I stood up and to my amazement there was nothing there pain wise and since I've had no pain at all I really can't believe it, the doc said it would be 3 months before I would notice it starting to work, I'm not complaining!

Today I've been for a walk into town to get my hair cut, drop some packages off (switches for the lads) and get the girls a McDonald's for their dinner (brownie points) and I've made it back as happy as Larry because it was easy (normal).

Sorry I'm waffling on your build log but I'm just feeling so positive at the moment and i really cant wait but i really dont care either, what's more important in life as basic as they maybe is what I'm chasing at the moment :D.

Positive: Don't worry, my day will come and CNC better be ready for me 😎

Lee
    Glad you're on the mend and things are getting easier for you to do normal everyday stuff...that's great news!

Hopefully things pick up a bit now and you can crack on with the build, look forward to seeing it!
    Neil...

Build log...here

14. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Page 73 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Thread Information