. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello All, I'm back again and still haven't finished my machine! Anyway, I'm just looking to purchase the steppers and came across these:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Shaf...QAAOSwHu5b5ADz

They look almost identical spec to the 3.1Nm ones currently on CNC4You that I saw recommended elsewhere, well all apart from the Voltage?
    https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Stepper-Mo...YGH301B-Nema23

It says voltage of 24-48 volts in the spec but my Toroidal power supply should be around 70v when I actually assemble it. Are they a different motor and therefore not suitable?

Cheers,

Charlie

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Going by the key spec (current and inductance), they are pretty much identical motors.
    However I'd say 70V is too high. The recommended max voltage is 32 * SQRT(L) (L is inductance), which puts the recommended max voltage around 57VDC when running with parallel/unipolar wiring.

A higher voltage won't have much effect at lower speeds, however if you're running at higher speeds, overheating is likely to become an issue if running at the rated current.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks for the reply, I probably should of said I plan on connecting them in series so the max voltage works out at 114v given the above formula unless there is a reason not to connect in series🤔

Cheers

Charlie

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You'll get better performance for any given voltage using parallel.

Inductance is the killer of performance, which is why you normally want steppers with as low an inductance as possible.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Am I looking at this all wrong? I'm thinking of getting the EM806 or AM882 80v drivers, I have a 2 x 25v toroidal transformer and 4700mf 100v caps and rectifier to build the PSU which should deliver 68v, I am scratching my head at what stepper motors I should get to match the Power supply....if those 3.1Nm steppers only require 57v would I be better to go for 50v drivers and a smaller PSU?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRam View Post
    Am I looking at this all wrong? I'm thinking of getting the EM806 or AM882 80v drivers, I have a 2 x 25v toroidal transformer and 4700mf 100v caps and rectifier to build the PSU which should deliver 68v, I am scratching my head at what stepper motors I should get to match the Power supply....if those 3.1Nm steppers only require 57v would I be better to go for 50v drivers and a smaller PSU?
    Personally I would go with the 68V p/s with the drives above or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2DM860H-2...frcectupt=true

There are plenty of people using this setup without problems
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Clive, Are you saying the 57v rated Steppers will be fine with the 68V PSU and either of those drivers? I am sure this is what people have used in the past but m_c says the voltage is too high! I'm a little confused now.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Personally I would go with the 68V p/s with the drives above or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2DM860H-2...frcectupt=true

There are plenty of people using this setup without problems
    I saw those drives but was a little unsure....have many people used them? It doesn't look like it has stall detection although I do understand that if the motor has stalled the job will be wrong even with stall detect.
    Last edited by CharlieRam; 09-03-2019 at 06:03 PM.

It's worth doing the sums and working out exactly what voltage you need - for some motors 50V would be fine, for others a big hindrance. Thankfully, @Irving2008 has put it all into a handy-dandy spreadsheet which ties together all the variables (apart from using pulleys/gears with a non 1:1 ratio) for which he deserves a beer - go looky here:

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/1524-...tor+calculator

This is part of my problem...the spreadsheet says the motor has a good margin but will it be ok on a 70v power supply?? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	355 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	25523

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Clive, Are you saying the 57v rated Steppers will be fine with the 68V PSU and either of those drivers? I am sure this is what people have used in the past but m_c says the voltage is too high! I'm a little confused now.
    I have always used 68 V with no troubles, everybody has their own opinion so you have to make your own mind up.

I saw those drives but was a little unsure....have many people used them? It doesn't look like it has stall detection although I do understand that if the motor has stalled the job will be wrong even with stall detect.
    I found them about 2 years ago and have used about 8 of them Dean (Jazzcnc) I think has used more than 12. re the stall detect you are correct they don't have it. But the AM882 and EM806 does have it but if I remember correctly it only kicks in at about 300 rpm.

As m_c has stated go with a parallel setup.
    Last edited by Clive S; 09-03-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information