. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I just imported the dxf kindly uploaded by Web Goblin directly into Mach3, getting mach3 to generate the code. No segments, nice and smooth?

Indeed Hopfully someone with greater wisdom will enlighten us ;-)

Thanks

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 38 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    A quick look at the gcode immediately shows that it's a series of line segments - there's a G1 near the beginning, then just a series of coordinates thereafter which will also use the implied G1. Not a G2/G3 in sight.

My guess is that the DXF you are exporting, for some reason, is using straight line approximations and not curves or arcs. I've had that problem exporting from Adobe Illustrator and it turned out to be that I was not using the latest available DXF format. Can you explore that?

I had a quick look at the original dxf and it is made from polylines. Most post processors cant understand them and break them down into loads of little lines. That way you get the kind of effect your are getting with it. Curves end up being made from straight lines. This also causes machines to stutter when trying to process the code also prevents them from reaching top cutting speed due to the amount of code they are trying to load and run.
    Take your original drawing and then draw over it in cad using lines and arcs only. Then save it as a dxf and post process it again and try the results. Hopefully you will get a nice smooth contour.

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 38 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    One more thought - not sure about Aspire as I use VCarve, but in VCarve there is a "convert to curves" tool. Letters seem to be created as a series of line segments but you can use the "convert to curves" tool to, presumably, convert to curves... I have just done a quick trial but the CAM post-processor in VCarve itself seems to give straight line segments in the gcode in either case. However, it might be that the dxf written out is different which might help with a different CAM processor.

Convert to curves usually means throwing away details of character and font so you are left with a fixed outline. If the outline is too steppy, look to see if there are any parameters you can tweak in the Convert to Curves command.

Sorry been busy but like been said Clearly there are no G2/3 arc moves only G1 so it's the code not machine or Mach3.

Doesn't matter if you convert to Arc's in CAD or CAM if the post can't process them. Often if standard Post can't deal with Arcs there'll be separate post which does.

Maybe you can sue them for deformation of character?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin Hewitt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    You sir should be awarded a prize for that one! :D

Quote Originally Posted by marbles View Post
    I just imported the dxf kindly uploaded by Web Goblin directly into Mach3, getting mach3 to generate the code. No segments, nice and smooth?
    That points the finger firmly at the software you're using to generate your dxf files, stop using it and use something people who don't have the issue use.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information