. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Hello everyone, glad to see the forum is still vibrant with lots of help and interesting builds, not been on here for a while and I have still yet to switch the big ooznest workbee up.

2 items which are really playing on my mind are spindle choice and the controller. I have built the kit from scratch and installed the duet but not even switched it on. After watching various youtube tutorials it just doesnt seem like a decent controller to me, my other machine uses a planet cnc controller which works great. No silly macro's ect.

I am just wondering if it would be better for me to just buy a external cnc controller off ebay such as this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283446744...2494%7Ciid%3A1

im not sure ig I would need anything else such as drivers for the motors? one advantage is that I could input the program off line so no danger of lost steps or pc crashes. I need to get this machine up and running asap so any help would be most appreciated.

thanks all
    Enthusiastic with CNC stuff but a proper novice so be gentle
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

That case is mental ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

4. Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    That case is mental ?
    ?? not sure what you mean matey
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    That case is mental ?
    Some guys are just thick.

To quote:
    "not sure what you mean matey" .......... Du'h.

Mental case, say no more.

Quote Originally Posted by ravihotwok View Post
    ?? not sure what you mean matey
    Look closer at the eBay advert !

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Some guys are just thick.

To quote:
    "not sure what you mean matey" .......... Du'h.

Mental case, say no more.
    That's a bit harsh because if Cropwell hadn't elaborated a little more then I didn't get it either.? I doubt you had either..
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ravihotwok View Post
    im not sure ig I would need anything else such as drivers for the motors? one advantage is that I could input the program off line so no danger of lost steps or pc crashes.
    You would still need drives for the motors, it's only the controller you'd be buying. Also, if you have two motors on one axis ie twin ball-screws, then I've got a feeling these controllers don't allow motor slaving.? I could be wrong because I don't use or like them as I find PC-based controllers are more flexible and you can see what's happening better, they also allow for far more control of the machine.

They also don't take away the chance of missed steps.? They work exactly like any other controller regards step generation so if you over-tune the motors, which is the most common cause of missed steps, then they will do exactly the same as any other controller and you'll get missed steps.!

They will also still crash because it's still essentially a PC inside that's running the show, but yes they are slightly more stable than a PC that's been used for several other tasks. However, if you do a fresh install of windows on a PC, turn off all the crap running in the background and just use it solely for the CNC with a decent motion controller then you won't get crashes.
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    They will also still crash because it's still essentially a PC inside that's running the show, but yes they are slightly more stable than a PC that's been used for several other tasks. However, if you do a fresh install of windows on a PC, turn off all the crap running in the background and just use it solely for the CNC with a decent motion controller then you won't get crashes.
    I would guess that is little more than a GRBL based Arduino with a fancy graphics interface, still good enough for the job, especially if there is a buffered motion controller built in rather than native step/dir control. I would have to see the setup codes/procedure to be certain. Frankly I am not that interested at the Mo, but I might be if my PC fails to fire up after 2 years of down time.

EDIT - Having looked at the spec of the DDCS3 (or whatever) it is based on an ARM9 32bit RISC chip, this has been obsolete for a few years now (about 15 I think). There must be newer, better and possibly cheaper controllers out there.
    Last edited by cropwell; 03-09-2021 at 12:21 AM.

11. Thank you everyone for you advice and comments (even the c~~ty ones lol. I think im going to bit the bullet and give the duet a go.

I shall report back with a fresh thread on how things are going.

Cheers everyone :-)
    My build blog:
    Chinese 3020t Build

Hi Ravi,

If you could squeeze it into your budget which I guess is very limited, there has been plenty of discussion on this forum about the AXBB-E Ethernet Motion Controller, which you should find with the appropriate forum search.

Good luck, Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information