. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't know if that speed will be needed but it was mentioned in a previous post and seemed like a good target.
    What kind of rapids and acceleration are needed for wood and aluminium, and what do you all have and feel comfortable with?
    Also it seems very difficult to get torque/performance profile curves for the various stepper motors so I'm not sure what RPM you can expect without losing torque.
    Sorry if my terminology is wrong.
    Jim

Doesn't matter what rapids are since its irrelevant to cutting. On a larger machine such as yours its nice to have since it'll get from one side of the bed to the other quicker but other than that its not important.

As for cutting. Its dependant on material, machine rigidity, spindle power, end mill size, depth of cut etc. But very rough ballpark speeds for a typical DIY CNC cutting wood would be 3m-5m/min at 4-6mm DOC. Aluminium is often cut at 0.7-1m/min with 1-2mm DOC. No firm answer though so don't take that as gospel.

Acceleration is really about reducing cutting time with short moves such as 3D/2.5D. Higher it is, the quicker you accelerate after a direction change.

Jim for this size machine to cut the materials your after cutting then you really need 2010 screws but it's not so much for the speed and more for putting the usable Torque in the place where it's needed.? When cutting.!

With correct voltage and decent drives Expect around 900-1100rpm for nema 23 motor before torque starts dropping off fast. So like has been said with 10mm pitch then 10mtr/min rapids is no problem really but that's a minor plus. Whats really important is that the bulk of the motors torque will be around 4-600rpm and that's where you'll be when cutting woods,plastics etc.
    Now for Aluminium then 10mm pitch is waste and you'd be better with 5mm pitch for the increase in resolution and torque. Again 5mm pitch will give 5mtr rapids but when cutting the motors will be working much lower up the torque curve giving best torque where it matters while cutting.

You workout what you'll be doing most off and then decide what's important to you.? Resolution or speed.?
    All I say is 10mm pitch will Cut Aluminium just at lower resolution which unless doing fine detail engraving won't be a problem and if you do plan on doing fine engraving then you've built the wrong machine anyway.!!

Forget rotating ballnut Idea it's not needed for this length machine and makes things overly complicated and an expense that's not needed.
    The BK15 blocks will easily handle any RPM a stepper can reach so don't worry your self with that.!. . . It's a NON issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    So Can I as i have Two 2100mm 2010 ballscrews and nuts in my front room, waiting to go on my machine along with the rotating ballnut mounts made by Jonathan..

Rick
    Er, I hope not as you said recently they were RM2510 so that's what I made the rotating ballnut mounts for, since at the time 2010 wasn't available. If they are RM2010 I will have to make new shafts to suit.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Thanks Dean and hopefully I'll post a new thead in the build section but I have so many questions like us newbies.
    I have sketches so hopefull I will get even more good advice.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Er, I hope not as you said recently they were RM2510 so that's what I made the rotating ballnut mounts for, since at the time 2010 wasn't available. If they are RM2010 I will have to make new shafts to suit.
    Yep you are correct, that was my mistake, however i did enquire about 2010 when i purchased mine and Chai confirmed he did them..

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post
    I've got 1.5m long screws, one a 1610 and the other is using dual 2010. With the AM882 and 75v I have no probs with 10m/min and high acceleration 1m/sec^2. Before with the cheap chinese 70v's I was lucky to get even 4m! Rubbish.
    How are the ballscrews holding up, I was told that if the acceleration is too high it can seize the ballscrew bearings, but you have them a lot faster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information