. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Its easy to say now, that I'd wish I built one from scratch instead of getting a 6040 from china, but I am not sure I would have learnt so much without it. It has plenty of faults, but at least it gets you started, and the real information-dive starts when you have something to machine with.

For a while I was trying to figure out how I could improve my 6040, but its easier to design a new machine with the materials available to you, in my opinion. And since I dont know anyone with a CNC, I have at least the opportunity to make many of the parts I need for my new one.

I would tell my self to wait and get a used one, or convert a mill, if I were able to jump back in time, but tbh they are pretty much nonexistent where I live.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sinnsvak For This Useful Post:

I do agree here with sinnsvak , maybe best advice here for newcomers would be buy a 3040 cnc you would learn same for less money , a small Chinese cnc is half the price but same principles

on the other hand can we come up with some plans for parts for newbies to have parts cut , and buy some off shelf materials to come up with basic cnc that users can make there own and learn more for less

Thanks for the advice everyone. Really appreciated.
    Yes I agree, it's almost like a necessary evil to get me started on my cnc journey.. don't run before I can walk I guess..

Something I've always wondered actually.. when people use a cnc to make a better cnc, which bits are they making? Because presumably the existing cnc isn't strong enough to cut the material that the better machine will be made out of.. ? Or am I too fixated on steel being the material of the machine, and great machines can be made from aluminium..?

Having said that.. CommanderKenyon brings up a tempting point.. would it be viable to buy say some extrusions, and spindle mount / brackets / bearings.. all off the shelf and build essentially the 6040? Or are there some bits that just have to be custom / precision drilled that wouldn't make it viable for someone without a cnc already.

(PS. CommanderKenyon, I noticed on another thread, your CNC took an age to arrive too.. Which seller did you buy from? How long did it take? And was the seller as unhelpful with tracking numbers as mine? ie. a tracking number that shows up nothing on DHL's website)

Quick reply ..

my my cnc came from ebay seller that said he was in Portsmouth but was not o was pondering over a 6040 for ages and my partner thought she would surprise me . Did she .. Bless her cotton socks .

wheni say extrusion I don't don't mean a ox type route , these designs although maybe great for 3d printers and laser cutters , are not great for much past light wood , but the 6040 would be better with a structure make of thicker Ali plate 20mm + for ends with maxhined out holes for bearings for 2 x 1605 ballscrew sand 20mm rails and hiwin carriages and 80x40 extrusions for longer lengths , this would be of the starting point for a 6040 machine , I am planning on stripping mine down over weekend if I get chance I will take some pics of its construction but it's a joke without washers the bolt heads would almost pull through the holes for the most part

im very new to this also and am not professing to know anything realy , my dad was a sheet metal worker and machinest for years , I'm not too bad but have very little machining anything other than few basic tasks I've needed over the years , I'll try and add more to this over weekend. Late just now and getting kicked by missus lol

Up early...

Jazz is definitely right, if you go for a Chinese 6040 make sure its a good one!

I bought a 6040z a year ago 1.5Kw water cooled spindle and the black box controller, I knew that I just wanted to carve Oak etc (no Metals). Following advice on here I immediately changed all of the wiring and added a UC100 USB interface to get as far away from the parallel port as I could for minimum money! I also changed the BOB for a cheap one off eBay (to allow control over the spindle speed and turning on and off) I had a random problem for a while where it would look like one of the axis was losing position! Fortunately I was advised on this forum to adjust the driver current and bingo the machine works really well!

Part time I have knocked £6k worth of signage business through it in just under 12 months - so I am a happy bunny!

Would I change anything, Yes if I had the time and space I might build a more custom machine that was faster and enabled me to carve tall projects at the end of the bed, but apart from that it does what it says on the tin.

Earle

Hi Jazz, completely unrelated to this specific thread but you seemed to be the man to ask. In short I need to source some low profile machine bed extrusion ideally the same stuff as used by Hobgoblin on his 3 axis CNC mill Project: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/4992-...C-Mill-Project

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0121.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	16467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0120.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	16468

I presume this is stuff is from China? I really need to source some ASAP for a rush prototype project. This stuff would be almost Ideal unless something thinner is available. Is there a manufacturer, or website you could give me a link to?

many thanks

If you have a look on aliexpress there are sellers with 20x20 and so on available :).

.Me
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
    Hi Jazz, completely unrelated to this specific thread but you seemed to be the man to ask. In short I need to source some low profile machine bed extrusion ideally the same stuff as used by
    Try this company they sell 160x16 which is nice sive for bed. Thou I see it's saying Sold out but will probably re-stock soon.!
    http://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/Slot-p...91_999993.html

thanks for the responses guys but as well as the relatively flat slim profile its the nature of the circular voids in this particular exrtusion that I'm most interested in

Name:	highlight.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	16473

I have to produce a prototype of some high voltage electronics which will eventually have 4 off 1750mm long bespoke extruded ally cooling units. but before committing to those manufacturing costs we need to prove and test the theory with something similar in ally, and this extrusion with its circular voids would really work well. So do you know the specific supplier of this stuff or does anyone have contact details for Hobgoblin as he doesn't seem to be active on the forum at the moment. You can Email me externally at [email protected] or alternatively pass that address onto Hobgoblin and ask him to get in contact

thanks again guys

Loving that you're up to on this forum by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
    thanks for the responses guys but as well as the relatively flat slim profile its the nature of the circular voids in this particular exrtusion that I'm most interested in

Name:	highlight.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	16473

I have to produce a prototype of some high voltage electronics which will eventually have 4 off 1750mm long bespoke extruded ally cooling units. but before committing to those manufacturing costs we need to prove and test the theory with something similar in ally, and this extrusion with its circular voids would really work well. So do you know the specific supplier of this stuff or does anyone have contact details for Hobgoblin as he doesn't seem to be active on the forum at the moment. You can Email me externally at [email protected] or alternatively pass that address onto Hobgoblin and ask him to get in contact

thanks again guys

Loving that you're up to on this forum by the way.
    Ah ok np, I can't give you his email address but I can forward yours onto him and link to here, you should also be able to send him a PM or use the option to email him instead, that's a web based email sending form but once sent it's no different to any other client and should end up in his local inbox .

.Me
    .Me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information