. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well I'm sorry to say that if you can't do something so simple as making a standard ruler then you really do need to get practising not using off the shelf DXF's.

Just making the rule marks would be a simple and easy execise to write G-code by hand let alone using a dedicated CAD/CAM program. IE: For 150cm length x 30cm width ruler using 6mm ballnose For 1cm rules 50mm long with 100mm long rules every 10cm set in 30mm in from the edge.
    (This simple example code doesn't include cutting out the profile and presumes x0y0 is bottom left corner of ruler and z0 is material surface.)

G0 G40 G49 G80 G21 (Initialisation)
    z20 (safe travel distance)
    x30 y30 ( Rapid move to start point)
    z0 ( Rapid Move Z to top of material)
    G91 G1 f2000 (Enter incremental mode and set Linear Move & feedrate)
    z-2.5 ( plunge 2.5mm)
    y100 (Cut first mark)
    z3.5 (lift Z with 1mm clearence)
    y-100 x10 (back to rule start and increment 10mm)

( Repeat these 4 lines for every 1cm rule mark and every 10cm change y50 & y-50 to 100)
    z-3.5 (plunge tool 2.5mm @ 500mm/min)
    y50 (cut first rule 50mm long)
    z3.5 ( lift Z leave 1mm travel clearence 2.5mm + 1mm)
    y-50 x10 ( back to line start and increment 10mm)

So go on give it a whirl you'll be surprised what you can do and having an intended goal really makes learning software easier and more rewarding.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well I'm sorry to say that if you can't do something so simple as making a standard ruler then you really do need to get practising not using off the shelf DXF's.

Just making the rule marks would be a simple and easy execise to write G-code by hand let alone using a dedicated CAD/CAM program. IE: For 150cm length x 30cm width ruler using 6mm ballnose For 1cm rules 50mm long with 100mm long rules every 10cm set in 30mm in from the edge.
    (This simple example code doesn't include cutting out the profile and presumes x0y0 is bottom left corner of ruler and z0 is material surface.)

G0 G40 G49 G80 G21 (Initialisation)
    z20 (safe travel distance)
    x30 y30 ( Rapid move to start point)
    z0 ( Rapid Move Z to top of material)
    G91 G1 f2000 (Enter incremental mode and set Linear Move & feedrate)
    z-2.5 ( plunge 2.5mm)
    y100 (Cut first mark)
    z3.5 (lift Z with 1mm clearence)
    y-100 x10 (back to rule start and increment 10mm)

( Repeat these 4 lines for every 1cm rule mark and every 10cm change y50 & y-50 to 100)
    z-3.5 (plunge tool 2.5mm @ 500mm/min)
    y50 (cut first rule 50mm long)
    z3.5 ( lift Z leave 1mm travel clearence 2.5mm + 1mm)
    y-50 x10 ( back to line start and increment 10mm)

So go on give it a whirl you'll be surprised what you can do and having an intended goal really makes learning software easier and more rewarding.!

It's a 6th rule I want to make son can chart the kids as they grow.
    As for G codes I would not know where to start as I can't find the Mrs G spot never mind understand Get code (is there a forum on how to find a woman's G thingy )

I also want to put some text on it like the kids DOB and names.
    Now I know I will need to segment the plan because of the size of my machine.
    I will just have to man up and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron74 View Post
    Now I know I will need to segment the plan because of the size of my machine.
    I will just have to man up and learn.
    Not really a "Man up" thing more case of a having crack with nothing to loose train of thought.! . . . . Maybe give it a go and then ask about any area you struggle with. Like I say I find it's much easier to learn software when you have a goal in mind.

Also while learning g-code isn't needed to work a CNC machine it really does help with understanding what machines doing or going to do. It's much simpler than most realise with very few commands and worth taking the time to learn.

The G-spot is myth made up by women to drive us blokes fucking mental. . .Lol

I ran the code but the spindle didn't start I even tried twiddling it's G-o button, but I ended up with woodworker's finger, G-cramp
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 21-11-2014 at 11:58 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    I ran the code but the spindle didn't start I even tried twiddling it's G-o button, but I ended up with woodworker's finger, G-cramp
    Oh twiddling the thing into life is well beyond G-o buttons now you need a diving helmet and Oxy/helium mix to find the Mmm3 spot. .
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 22-11-2014 at 12:16 AM.

So update time.
    well i've done one that i'm happy with with ( but have a big pile of fire wood lol)
    I have to use a cad program to do the design and ensure the size's where correct.
    then import it to Vcarve add the text.
    work out how to use the tile function.
    Well all i can say is that i'm glad I gave it ago, the only dow side is that now other ppl want then and it was meant to be a 1 off.

Here is a pic of how it looks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	14034  

Good effort ! interesting you used inches. Like you I always draw it in CAD first, that way you can see what the outcome is likely to be, it's easy to later modify, you have the design for when other people want one too, and with their name on it
    Edit: I lost my marbles a bit there thinking those numbered graduations were inches instead of feet, it's becasue it looked like a 'blown up' ruler.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 10-12-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Edit: I lost my marbles a bit there thinking those numbered graduations were inches instead of feet, it's becasue it looked like a 'blown up' ruler.[/QUOTE]

I think thats the idea of it Eddy!!! G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    Edit: I lost my marbles a bit there thinking those numbered graduations were inches instead of feet, it's becasue it looked like a 'blown up' ruler.

I think thats the idea of it Eddy!!! G.
    Well I know that of course, but initially I wrote some stuff that I later deleted about using 16th's instead of 12th's then I came to my senses about it being feet and 12 inch divisions. I think my head was thinking about my dentist appointment for a tooth extraction in the afternoon.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 10-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    it's easy to later modify, you have the design for when other people want one too, and with their name on it
    Good method, let's see how it works-I will design something for my wife..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information