. .
Page 14 of 82 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Well checking the FEDEX tracking number Chai gave me and my ball screws are in France at the moment!
    Remembering Kingcreaky's build thread where he got different ball nut housings than he thought he was getting I asked Chai for the data sheet. Good job I did as they are different from what I thought I'd be getting (best ask before ordering next time just to make sure!) so I'd best re-draw them and adjust the mounting points accordingly...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Good job I did as they are different from what I thought I'd be getting (best ask before ordering next time just to make sure!) so I'd best re-draw them and adjust the mounting points accordingly...
    That's exactly why I won't make parts for folks unless dimensions are taken directly off the parts or they have them in hand so know which data sheets to work from.! . . .Even then I prefer them in my hands so I can do the measuring.!!

I'm drawing up the gantry plates at the moment in Draftsight so should have some CAD models soon. I'm in two minds whether to do the end plates with slots in so the top/bottom/front plates are located in the end plates (remember seeing something like that on a build you did for someone) or whether to fit the end plate on square to the ends and have less machining?
    Yes I'm waiting to get all the bits in my grubby paws before doing the final drawings just for that reason, so I can check all components are as they should be...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Got my delivery from Chai today...thought I'd got all 1605's but then took a closer look and all was correct! From me paying to them arriving at my door was 9 working days. Excuse the out of focus pics but they were taken on my phone :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ballnut-housing.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	375.5 KB 
ID:	10235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ballscrews-1.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	383.7 KB 
ID:	10236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ER16-collets.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	384.7 KB 
ID:	10237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fixed_end.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	380.2 KB 
ID:	10238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floating end.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	379.7 KB 
ID:	10239
    Neil...

Build log...here

OK Chaps a couple of questions if I may. I'm rapidly pulling all the bits together and just want to check that I'm not going to start this build and then just when I get going come to a grinding halt because I've overlooked something! Below is a list of what I have and what I think I still need to get. Can you take a look at it and suggest what else I've forgotten please?

Items already purchased
    • 1000mm x 800mm x 20mm Aluminium Plate (eBay)
    • 2200mm x 950mm x 10mm 6082 Aluminium plate (eBay)
    • X axis 20mm NSK linear rails 1300mm long & 4 carriages (eBay)
    • Y axis 15mm THK linear rails 750mm long & 4 carriages (eBay)
    • Z axis 15mm THK linear rails 440mm long & 4 carriages (eBay)
    • NEMA 23 3Nm steppers x 3
    • AM882 drivers x 3
    • PDMX 126 BOB
    • X axis ballscrews x 2 1325mm long with Ballscrew, ballscrew housing and Fixed and floating end bearings and housings (Chai)
    • Y axis ballscrews 750mm long with Ballscrew, ballscrew housing and Fixed and floating end bearings and housings (Chai)
    • Z axis ballscrews 415mm long with Ballscrew, ballscrew housing and Fixed and floating end bearings and housings (Chai)
    • 1 set of ER16 collets 2mm through to 10mm (Chai)
    • 2.5m of IGUS 15 series 36mm x 24mm energy chain (eBay)
    • 6 off mechanical limit switches (also have 6 off PNP Proxy switches in case I want to use them instead of mechanical switches) (eBay and cou”work”gh)
    • E-Stop button
    • Homemade 1.7kW brushless outrunner spindle (Me!!)
    • 100mm x 50mm x 4mm 7.5m length of steel
    • 50mm x 50mm x 4mm 7.5m length of steel
    • 50mm x 25mm x 4mm 7.5m length of steel
    • 24V 47A (twin server PSU’s) PSU for the spindle
    • 75A ESC & Servo tester for the spindle

Items to be purchased
    • PSU (parts as will make one)
    • CY cable (will ask our works electrician if he has any going spare…)
    • Cable Tray (as above)
    • 5mm pitch HTD Pulleys and belts (lengths of belts still to be fixed)
    • Bespoke Z axis Ballnut mount (one of you hopefully??!!)
    • Epoxy for levelling the X axis rail beds
    • Spindle mount to be machined (again one of you hopefully??!!)
    • Various size taps for tapping all the holes

There are more bits that I think I need but at the moment I can't think....that's where you experienced chaps come in
    Neil...

Build log...here

There are more bits that I think I need but at the moment I can't think....that's where you experienced chaps come in
    Hundreds of nut's & bolts and Screws.!! . . . . Kid you not 200 bolts go no where.!! . . . DONT buy cheap taps and get spiral flute they make life easy.

Good electrical cabinet to put it all in and trunking to separate power and signal cables etc.

Now start building and stop over thinking because you'll never account for everything and plans will change has you go along.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 30-09-2013 at 05:09 PM.

What's special about the Z-axis ballnut mount that causes you to need a custom one?

The PSUs you've got for the spindle sound good. Do you have a source for them for a reasonable price?
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Nuts bolts etc I'll get from one of my works suppliers...

Its a low profile one to fit between the Z axis plates without more machining, I'll put a pic up later if I've got one at home.

PSUs are Dell server PSUs which you can pick up off eBay. Normally twinned to get 24V by floating the earth on one and putting in series...or so I'm led to believe!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Hundreds of nut's & bolts and Screws.!! . . . . Kid you not 200 bolts go no where.!! . . . DONT buy cheap taps and get spiral flute they make life easy.

Good electrical cabinet to put it all in and trunking to separate power and signal cables etc.

Now start building and stop over thinking because you'll never account for everything and plans will change has you go along.!!
    I'll get some more spiral flute ones Dean!

I'll ask our electrical engineer to get me a cabinet, probably a Sarel one as well as the trunking...

Will be starting the frame once the steel gets here which hopefully will be in the next day or so. Will get it cut up before work and at lunch and then start the welding bit by bit. Can't do it at home as no 16A sockets :(
    Neil...

Build log...here

Can't do it at home as no 16A sockets :(
    Just bang an old nail in fuse it'll be ok for a few hours welding. .

Page 14 of 82 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread Information