. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I am all ears. I was trying to establish if the the relay contact on the board (or control system) had gone wonky.
    shorting FOR and DCM should start the spindle I hope

Problem is it is, always ambiguous when trying to sort problems out at a distance. I would like to know the outcome to the problem that way we all learn and can help one another.
    It could well be that the vfd has packed up.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I hear you. Difficult to diagnose over a forum, much quicker if you were there in person.
    I'd only just read this thread and had to comment in case Mark messed around with the control cabinet without absolutely confirming FOR and DCM did not run the spindle.
    I have a sinking feeling this is a new VFD but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Mark, if you can confirm the above, the next steps would be to check the settings on the VFD. I'd be surprised if Dean set this up wrong so maybe you accidentally altered one of them? I'm no VFD expert but maybe you set a current limit? Have a read here, post #6, and see how your settings compare:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/5814-...nd-Advice-More
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I'd only just read this thread and had to comment in case Mark messed around with the control cabinet without absolutely confirming FOR and DCM did not run the spindle.
    I have a sinking feeling this is a new VFD but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
    I agree but I thought in post #4 I tried to establish that he had just removed the two cables from the vfd end and put a link in place. (to prove if the vfd would run)

I also agree that if it is a new vfd then the settings WILL be the problem.
    ..Clive

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I also agree that if it is a new vfd then the settings WILL be the problem.
    Sorry Clive I've confused you. I meant he may need to buy a new VFD. As I understand it this is the original one the Dean installed.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Hi gentlemen,
    thanks for all the posts.
    Apologies for me taking my time, I've used the router a few times since last post, and all seemed well, until today- when it's back with a vengeance.
    It took four attempts but the spindle came to life, however it stopped- without cause after 2 mins.

Once again I'm having to wait- I believe this may be a clue to the issue- the fact I have to wait several hours until the spindle will run again. This is the original VFD, installed by dean. routerCNC, in regards to your question about the behaviour of the spindle when FOR and DCM were connected, technically it didn't power the spindle up- however, I would say it was successful as it made a 'click' - something the VFD has always done- Dean told me this was something in the VFD to do with acceleration, and from day 1 it's always been a little coy at starting up at very slow (sub 6krpm) or very fast (over 20k) speeds, usually taking a few attempts, though it's never been a big deal. I assume short circuiting it in that way makes it power up to full speed, at which point it does what it would have always done, and clicks(think this click would be a MCB?) and prevents the spindle from running.
    This isn't what is happening at the moment- I hit the spindle button on mach3 and it's totally unresponsive, the VFD sits there happily blinking away, no MCB noise, no power to the spindle.
    I know it's a bit confusing, hope I've at least done an ok job of explaining it :(
    Last edited by mark84; 09-09-2017 at 01:27 PM.

The vfd settings:
    Pd5-400
    Pd4-400
    Pd3-200.01
    Pd6-002.50
    Pd7-0.50
    Pd8-220
    Pd9-015.0
    Pd11-01.20
    Pd14-0.3
    Pd15-1.0
    Pd72-400
    Pd143-05.0
    Pd142-5.0
    Pd144-3000

Thanks so much :)

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Sorry Clive I've confused you. I meant he may need to buy a new VFD. As I understand it this is the original one the Dean installed.
    I was curious, is it possible to set the spindle speed on the vfd, and start it up, at least if I could do that I could do some milling without fear of another broken end mill!?
    The router has never had heavy usage, I can't reliably say total hours used, but it's likely a typical week it's in use an hour, over the past 3(??) Years.
    Last edited by mark84; 09-09-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Hi,
    Sorry for my wall of text, I misunderstood the original instructions about joining For and Dcm, I didn't think you meant with mach 3 connected.
    I can confirm that connecting these two and starting the toolpath does bring the spindle to life, disconnecting the two while the spindle is running stops it, and simply pressing the spindle off via mach3 slows it(but doesn't stop it fully) to about 70rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by mark84 View Post
    The vfd settings:
    Pd5-400
    Pd4-400
    Pd3-200.01
    Pd6-002.50
    Pd7-0.50
    Pd8-220
    Pd9-015.0
    Pd11-01.20
    Pd14-0.3
    Pd15-1.0
    Pd72-400
    Pd143-05.0
    Pd142-5.0
    Pd144-3000

Thanks so much :)
    Pd 143 should be set to 2 its hard to believe it ever started with this set to 5
    Pd 3 set to 400
    Pd 11 I would set to 55 so that the lowest spindle speed would be about 3300
    Pd 14 set to 2
    Pd 15 set to 2
    Pd 7 set to 1.5
    Pd 142 set to 7 (if 2.2kw)

Try these and report back
    Last edited by Clive S; 10-09-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    ..Clive

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Thank you, Clive. It'll be a few days, but I'll keep you informed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information