. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    yes i know they have been in the business over 30 years and have all sorts they can do rings or plate withsame machine templates a pantograph type arm that also runs from exact same disks and you dial in and move along like an old pressure tape label makers only with drag or power engraver running on the arm or the micro tools on inside or outside of the rings which obviously rotate instead of moving.
    im3
    doesn't use rotary font discs, that's the dedicated ring engravinbg machine.
    At least Google if you're guessing when advising other users!
    I own and use exactly the model which the OP requested information on and I'm not answering based on a guess or a Google search, I have actual physical experience using a Gravograph IM3 for diamond drag and rotary cut engraving!

- Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 05-06-2016 at 10:44 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Covered Already!
    Last edited by magicniner; 05-06-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucan07 View Post
    The problem with CNC is the set up time they can do the jobs freehand quicker than plugging it in.
    You've not done that then?
    I have and I have to inform you that if 2D engraving with corners the diameter of your cutter at the set depth is acceptable that's fine, if you want deep engraving with sharp corners then the only way you get that is with a 3D tool path which lifts at the corners - a V-Carve type tool path - and that is CNC

;-)

Hi Nick

I can get the IM3 with Motor, 2 fonts and some blanks for a tad less than the above. I don't know about the depth guide but will ask.

I have seen the machine do scratch engraving on cufflinks, but would like to know the type of items and material for the deep rotary cut/milled engraving ?

At the moment, everything is new to me, Metals, plating the machines etc. I assume that the deep engraving cannot be done on Plated metals ?

Which CNC machine do you now have ?

Many thanks for your help - its appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    im3
    doesn't use rotary font discs, that's the dedicated ring engravinbg machine.
    At least Google if you're guessing when advising other users!
    I own and use exactly the model which the OP requested information on and I'm not answering based on a guess or a Google search, I have actual physical experience using a Gravograph IM3 for diamond drag and rotary cut engraving!
    - Nick
    I answered question "like a pantographt" not about an IM3 I told him to google IM3 or search youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    You've not done that then?
    I have and I have to inform you that if 2D engraving with corners the diameter of your cutter at the set depth is acceptable that's fine, if you want deep engraving with sharp corners then the only way you get that is with a 3D tool path which lifts at the corners - a V-Carve type tool path - and that is CNC
    ;-)
    I have spoken to friends regarding tools used and why they do not use CNC engravers as they have a CNC fibre laser, their response was about the time and setup. The way to quality engraving is craftsmen with years of experience and professional equipment that will never be replaced by any hobbyists with V-Carve type tool paths.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyPugs View Post
    I can get the IM3 with Motor, 2 fonts and some blanks for a tad less than the above. I don't know about the depth guide but will ask.
    That sounds good and ought to get you going, you can buy a range of depth regulating noses to fit Gravograph spindles, the picture for depth noses on Gravograph's site is of a ball type - http://www.gravograph.co.uk/engravin...ng-machine.php

I have seen the machine do scratch engraving on cufflinks, but would like to know the type of items and material for the deep rotary cut/milled engraving ?
    Using carbide cutters with 3 in one oil for lubricant I've engraved a variety of metals including Aluminium, cast Zinc, Steel and Titanium

At the moment, everything is new to me, Metals, plating the machines etc. I assume that the deep engraving cannot be done on Plated metals ?
    If it's a plating that can lift if damaged then cutting through it is likely to cause peeling or flaking, I engrave parts prior to finishing whether that's blueing, painting or plating.

Which CNC machine do you now have ?
    My benchtop CNC is a little ex-educational mill from Connect CNC, it's been retro-fitted for Mach3 and has very little left on it that's standard, the engraving spindle is mounted on a small spring loaded slide and is driven with a pulley which mounts in place of milling tooling giving speeds up to 30000rpm.

If you go CNC you are definitely best with a purpose made OEM system as the software will not require you to jump through the hoops that CAD/CAM/CNC will and the learning curve will be more like that for vinyl cutting than CNC.

There are engraving specific forum sites out there where you will get better answers from those already doing what you want to do than you could get from general CNC users,
    Regards,
    Nick

Came across this video that may be of interest to you, it appears simple but effective,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7e4wLLkFO4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information